Loft Conversion - No trusses?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a look into my loft as I am thinking of getting my loft converted and I looked online as you do to get an idea of what is involved.

I am a bit confused as it seems for a terrace made around 1920s I think - stone walls the roof space did not have a W truss.

So what type of Roof do I have and will I be able to get a loft conversion?

JyPSwB.jpg

JyPUZP.jpg

JyP8uV.jpg

JyPkyQ.jpg

JyP4MF.jpg

JyP66g.jpg

JyPscJ.jpg

JyPiFa.jpg

JyPL8v.jpg

Sponsored Links
It appears that you have a "Hand Built" roof with rafters, and purlins, meaning a tradesman had to cut individual timbers on site to fit, not a [modern] "truss" made in a factory somewhere.

Ken.

It appears that you have a "Hand Built" roof with rafters, and purlins, meaning a tradesman had to cut individual timbers on site to fit, not a [modern] "truss" made in a factory somewhere.

Ken.

Thank you. So which means it cannot be used to make it into a loft conversion?

Absolutely NOT!

Indeed because your roof / loft space has been constructed so it is "clear" of [so called] roof ties at mid length of the rafters your loft space is an ideal candidate for a conversion.

Modern factory produced trusses are engineered to very fine limits, such as timber quality, and keeping the dimensions of the individual components to the [shall I call it] bare minimum to give the strength and capacity to withstand all the forces placed upon the roof as an entity.

Your roof [by today's standards] could? be considered to be "over designed" in that the timbers used are well able to withstand the forces actin on the roof, such as the dead load of the coverings, including the tiles or slates, wind loading, Etc. Etc.

Hope this assists?

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ken.

As I mentioned that I had been looking at videos online and they all seemed to be about W Roof trusses which needed to be removed and then put in new beams for support and new roof supports I think.

As there are none in my roof I just assumed that it wouldn't be useful to convert into a loft.

If it is a good candidate what should I ask builders who come and have a look to make sure they do?

I neither want someone who will just say well put in a new floor, insulation and board up and you are done to another one who might say I need a new roof.

When you don't know it's hard to strike a balance.

You need drawings for building regs, architectural technician, engineers drawings for floors, dormers etc.
Your builder would follow the drawings.
You have a cut roof and is ideal for a conversion.

You need drawings for building regs, architectural technician, engineers drawings for floors, dormers etc.
Your builder would follow the drawings.
You have a cut roof and is ideal for a conversion.

Thanks. What is an architectural technician? Do I need to employ a structural engineer and architect first? - How long would this process take?

I wouldn't want dormers -really just to add windows into the roof - make it as a spare room and storage.

A technician as opposed to a full blown architect is all you would need to do your drawings for building control regulations.
Your loft would need an upgrade on your ceiling rafters to create floor joists.
Insulation, ventilation, moisture control, stairs and means of escape would all need to be factored in.
You may need steels installed to carry the floor which may need an engineers input.
Research architectural technicians in your area, that would be the 1st thing you would do.

If its only for storage disregard all I said and put some flooring down and a skylight in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back