Loft Conversion with 3 bedrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am new to the forum and have a 2 questions. I have a student let which I let out, it is a mid terrace and has 5 bedrooms at the moment and I wish to convert the loft to take another 3 bedrooms, a bathroom and a kitchen. I think I understand about separating the loft from the rest of house with a door and having a fire door on the new kitchen door but my question relates to Planning Permission and permitted development.

Under permitted development, I have read on one website that it may need planning permission because there are 3 bedrooms going into the loft?

I would also need to add rooflights to the front of the house as well as the rear, are these allowed under permitted development?

I have read up on the Planning Portal but it does not seem to answer these specific queries. I know I will have to contact my local authority but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts before I do so. Many thanks in anticipation. :D

Sponsored Links
Loft conversion is the operative work, and what you do within it is immaterial. The 40m3 rule will apply though

Roof windows generally flush with the roof tiles do not require permission

But how will you fit 3 bedrooms, a bathroom and kitchen into the loft of a terraced house and be less than 40m3?

Sponsored Links
Loft conversion is the operative work, and what you do within it is immaterial. The 40m3 rule will apply though

Roof windows generally flush with the roof tiles do not require permission

But how will you fit 3 bedrooms, a bathroom and kitchen into the loft of a terraced house and be less than 40m3?

Thanks, but I've since found out that once you go above 5 bedrooms it needs to be HMO licenced and as such it will require planning permission anyway. Thanks for trying though. Its a big house! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back