Loft door (not hatch) sizes to meet BR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are partway through a loft conversion and I am about to begin boxing in the stairwell where it meets the loft floor.

I am aware there has to be a minimum 400mm landing area off the stairs but can't seem to find any regulatory information concerning door height/width and relevant casing sizes to comply with BR and fire issues.

The door sizes determine where certain walls fall and have a knock-on effect on the rest of the layout. As such I need to confirm these before constructing any further walls.

I am assuming a standard door casing height is 2000mm from the floor and I am working inwards from where this meets the rafter/plasterboard/internal header stud.

I have attached a few rough images of the apex setup and where (roughly) the door needs to be. Ideally the inner casing would sit as close to the apex as possible.

Given the width of an acceptable door casing I can then work out where the side wall will be.

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
There is no minimum door height, but providing it's practical.

The only requirement that will come close would be that 2m headroom is required at the top of the landing. It can be reduced if headroom is tight (for loft conversions). So providing you have achieved this, then I can't see there being any problem.

If you were struggling for space, there's no reason why part of the door cannot be cut to suit the roof slope but try and avoid that if and where possible.

Thanks for that DevilDamo.

I'll look into the height and see what I can get away with but is there a recommended door width for non-wheelchair use?

All I can find on the regs is wheelchair access guidelines of a 700mm gap.

Sponsored Links
just remember if you do put a slope on the door it must be on the the lock side ;)

just remember if you do put a slope on the door it must be on the the lock side ;)

Nah don't be boring. If it's on the other side, then you need to build a dormer for that bit of door to be able to be swung open ;)

BTW, if you construct you studwork like that, then you are in for a lot of cutting with the plasterboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back