LOFT FLOORING FOR HOMEGYM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New user so excuse any mistakes..I have bought myself a homegym (SMITH MACHINE WITH BENCH AND WEIGHTS) and would like to put it in my loft . The loft does not have any stairs but i can use a ladder to get upthere. There are no boards on the joist. the joists in most areas is covered with pink wool for insulation purpose (i guess!).

This is all that there is. I am a student and therefore on a tight budget (can afford upto £200)..I would like to do everything myslef if you think its a good idea. My question, at last, is what materials do i need to complete the flooring..type of floorboards, any rubber materials etc? I just want something simple but strong as the loft would only be used for an hour for about 4 days a week.

I thank you all in advance for your useful input.

Many thanks

Alex

Sponsored Links
hi,be very careful,lofts are not meant that use,if you decide to go ahead be sure to put extra support battons to every beam both sides before you put any boarding down.

alex use your bedroom to do your weight training :LOL: keep your £200 for a rainy day..........theres a recession on you know :confused:
seriously your loft aint designed structuraly to be used as a gym. it would take a bit more than a couple of hundred quid to reinforce the trusses and purchase your new flooring.
if you decide to go ahead without reinforcing be prepared for cracked ceilings.

Thanks guys for your advice..it did cross my mind but the only reason why i thought the gym would be ok in the loft is because at the moment we use it as a storage and there are lots of heavy bags up there and has been there for a while now...i did think about putting it in my bedroom but i thought it would damage the floor as the floorboards are already making a lot of noise when u walk on certain parts.
I am just a little disappointed as i was looking forward to having the machine in the loft room..well may b it wasn't meant to be..
more comments are welcome
ta

Sponsored Links
alex use your bedroom to do your weight training :LOL: keep your £200 for a rainy day..........theres a recession on you know :confused:
seriously your loft aint designed structuraly to be used as a gym. it would take a bit more than a couple of hundred quid to reinforce the trusses and purchase your new flooring.
if you decide to go ahead without reinforcing be prepared for cracked ceilings.
Thanks guys for your advice..it did cross my mind but the only reason why i thought the gym would be ok in the loft is because at the moment we use it as a storage and there are lots of heavy bags up there and has been there for a while now...i did think about putting it in my bedroom but i thought it would damage the floor as the floorboards are already making a lot of noise when u walk on certain parts.
I am just a little disappointed as i was looking forward to having the machine in the loft room..well may b it wasn't meant to be..
more comments are welcome
ta

The loads you will be imparting will be dynamic - live loads, impact, etc. These loads will be altogether different from the current weight issues.

An unenforced loft floor is not suitable for a gym.

Not a good idea. And your £200 won't go anywhere near doing what you would need to do to make it structurally ok.

Stick it in the corner and add to the general detritus that comprises a student's room :LOL:

alex - however, your £200 will buy you a garden shed into which you could put your gym machine.

alex - however, your £200 will buy you a garden shed into which you could put your gym machine.

Hi thanks for your reply..just one more question..how about having the machine in my room on first floor?.. shed is also a possibility but i would prefer it in my room if you think it would be suitable..thanks again

alex - all that humping, heaving and clashing of weights could result (as alastair has said) in a cracked ceiling in the room below. Out to the garden with you!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back