Loft light blown - now no heating!!! HELP!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I went into the loft last night and turned on the light - the bulb blew and I couldn't be bothered changing it so left it (assumed the bulb was knackered).

This morning I noticed the heating hadn't come on - there seems to be no power to the thermostat and the boiler is only lukewarm.

The burglar alarm still works (which takes power from the immersion circuit) but the timer and thermostat don't have any power at all.

None of the circuit breakers in the garage have tripped.

I'm not sure what to do next - any suggestions?

Ta

Simon

Sponsored Links
Check the circuit breakers again. Switch each "off" then back "on" and see if any of them feel odd or broken.

You sound like you have a rather eccentric electrical installation, as you say "burglar alarm still works (which takes power from the immersion circuit)" :eek: and it also sounds like the circuit that supplies your loft lights also supplies something to do with your heating system :eek:
It might be that the electric power to your CH pump is not working.

It is possible that the surge on the blowing bulb has caused a loose connection to burn out. This might be at a ceiling rose, or it might be at a junction box (I suspect you have some :( ) Or maybe you have a fused spur you didn't know about :(

If you have a multimeter and are safe to use it, you can look for the fault. see if anything else has stopped working, and try to follow the cables back, looking for a point of connection that might have failed. otherwise, start asking friends and neighbours if they can recommend a good local electrician.

Thanks JohnD - will do some nosing.

The loft light is on the upstairs lighting ring which is why I'm not sure how the two are related (I forgot to mention that I replaced the bulb in the loft and it doesn't work so guessing something is wrong there).

Sponsored Links
the good thing about lighting circuits in lofts is that the cables are usually acessible without having to lift furniture, carpets and laminated flooring.

Junction boxes are also more difficult to hide.

Don't forget the burglar alarm has a back-up battery which should keep it going for about 8 hours, but once that has run down and if there is still no mains power the alarm bell will start ringing :eek:

Have you checked the fuse for the immersion heater and the alarm?
You certainly don't want that going off in the middle of the night.
If nothing obvious get someone in pdq.

Have you checked the fuse in the FCU for the boiler?
Might be someone has connected the loft light to it although this setup would be poo.

Hi folks,

The power to the burglar alarm is fine so no worries about that!

I've a feeling that when I fitted the loft light, it might not have been the lighting circuit I fitted it to :)

I've just followed the cables that I cut to put a junction box for the loft light and one end appears to go to the timer in the airing cupboard and I'm not sure where the other end goes - any ideas?!

Anyway, I've removed the cables for the loft ceiling rose and switch from the junction box so it's back to the main cable only but still nothing.

Will go and check the fuse in the airing cupboard now.

Simon

Spark123 said:
Have you checked the fuse in the FCU for the boiler?
Might be someone has connected the loft light to it although this setup would be poo.

Spark123 - I want to have your babies!

Changed the fuse and everything has come back to life!

We're back on track now and I can do the other repairs at the weekend.

Thanks again everyone (cue tirade of abuse for being **** at electrics - go on, I deserve it!)

Simon

simonpearce said:
I've just followed the cables that I cut to put a junction box for the loft light and one end appears to go to the timer in the airing cupboard

Simon

So did your loft light only work at certain times of the day? ;)

Spark123 said:
although this setup would be poo.

I wrote this on a NTCS form only the other day. A well-known phrase in electrician's circles. :LOL:

I'm agreeing with myself.

Yes, so I am I.

Me too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back