Loft staircase query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im currentlt In the process of renovating a new house and one of the things that I am intending to do is the loft.

Now I know the regs regards head height etc for the new stairs going up into the loft which is fine I can just about manage to fit the stairs and gain the height needed where I want to put them.

The issue I'm having or trying to work out is

The house is a 1930's build which the stairs going from the ground to first floor have a head height of 1.75 at it shortest point.

The question I have is do the regs state they when I put the new stairs in what the minimum height is from the old stairs to the new stairs is?

As this would cause an issue

The only info I can seem to find is for the new loft stairs being 1.9m and 1.8 at the shoulder which is obviously above the new stairs.

The old stairs don't comply to the new regs now as the height isn't 2m

Could I continue with 1.8m as it would not be worse than before?

Or is there some info somewhere I can read

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Regs have no bearing on original stairs which probably also don’t comply to angle , at 46 degrees mine certainly don’t .I think you need 2.1 at top of stairs though space saver stairs can help negate some problems .

Regs have no bearing on original stairs which probably also don’t comply to angle , at 46 degrees mine certainly don’t .I think you need 2.1 at top of stairs though space saver stairs can help negate some problems .
Thanks

I'm not a big fan of the space saver stairs to be honest.

I think for the cost of doing it then putting space saver stairs makes it half a job.

But that's my own opinion.

I'm lucky in the fact I can do the majority of the work myself so a big cost saving.

Also pondering what the minimum usable width of stairs would be.

Current stair foreground floor are 800 wide and they look huge

If it's a single-room loft conversion (or single room + ensuite) you have more flexibility in designing the stairs than the dimensions suggested in Approved Doc K.
Google 'BS 5395 Stairs for limited Access in Dwellings'. You can have the pitch as steep as 50.7 degrees, with treads as short as 180 mm. This might help your headroom issue over the existing stairs.

Sponsored Links
If it's a single-room loft conversion (or single room + ensuite) you have more flexibility in designing the stairs than the dimensions suggested in Approved Doc K.
Google 'BS 5395 Stairs for limited Access in Dwellings'. You can have the pitch as steep as 50.7 degrees, with treads as short as 180 mm. This might help your headroom issue over the existing stairs.

Thanks Tony
I'll take a look I'm also due to speak with the local inspector as well

I just like to be as armed as possible before hand

@ OP, most inspectors are not aware of this standard, but it's there, it's quoted in the Approved Doc, and it's legal.

@ OP, most inspectors are not aware of this standard, but it's there, it's quoted in the Approved Doc, and it's legal.

Thanks

I'm struggling to find the literature without paying for it

Which until I saw they wanted £180 for it I was going to

Do you know where there is a up to date copy freely available at all

You could try Scribd - it's about £7 per month but you could join, download what you want, and then cancel.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back