Log Burner Flue Worry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 2000 house, so plasterboard, batten, block, empty cavity, brick.

I'm thinking of getting a log burner in the front room, which will exit through the wall to the side of the house, so far so good...

Directly above the front room is my bedroom, which has an emperor size waterbed. I'm not sure on weight but it's going to be around 900KG in total.

Now here comes my worry, when the bricks get removed to fit the double flue is that going to weaken the area? Last thing I want is the log burner to be installed then the house falls apart

Sponsored Links
Have you checked that the joists can handle 900KG?

Have you checked that the joists can handle 900KG?
Nope but been fine for years, having waterbeds is fine as the load is spread.

I just don’t know if removing block and some brickwork will weaken anything

Directly above the front room is my bedroom, which has an emperor size waterbed.
Seriously?

when the bricks get removed to fit the double flue is that going to weaken the area?
If the hole is large enough and directly beneath a point load, (joist end, beam etc), then yes, what ever is being supported becomes vulnerable. Most smaller flue holes can pass through walls no problem. But even small holes passing beneath lintel or beam bearings for example are potentially troublesome.

If the double flue is large enough and close to the ceiling, it may need a lintel/support over.

Sponsored Links
Seriously?
Just looked emperor is what I want next, mine now is 6x7 foot but almost close enough :)

If the hole is large enough and directly beneath a point load, (joist end, beam etc), then yes, what ever is being supported becomes vulnerable. Most smaller flue holes can pass through walls no problem. But even small holes passing beneath lintel or beam bearings for example are potentially troublesome.

If the double flue is large enough and close to the ceiling, it may need a lintel/support over.
From floor to ceiling in the front room is about 2.3m high, the flue would exit about 1.5m.

Is that a risky height?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back