London Bridge is apparently down

Sponsored Links
Because I think wills and Kate are more personable with the general public.

Charles is still seen as the old guard, whereas William is seen as fresh and something needed to help move the country forward
Monarchy doesn't work that way.
The calls for the Queen to step down made a similar point but this really is a 'job for life'.

Wouldn't you have thought it might of got a mention on the TV or radio!

Seriously though - sad she has passed, she always carried out her job with great dignity, a wonderful ambassador to our country. And I loved that wonderful moment she had with paddington bear at her 70th bash, just wonderful

Long live the king,

Sponsored Links
In most cases
Apart from the Abdication, you mean?
Edward VIII made a choice and had to live with it.
Just as well he did. A fascist sympathiser wouldn't have lasted long in those days.

Then it's all the way back to James II - a Catholic with no sense of Constitutional monarchy.
Charles I had his head removed after losing the argument over the Divine Right of Kings.
I suppose Henry VI could be included as he was incapacitated with seizures his whole life: poor bloke was born into a role for which he was completely unsuited.
More often than not Medieval kings were killed in battle or in the case of Edward II, ended their days in torment.

King Charles III will have it easy by comparison.

Glad she snuffed it peacefully.

Rest in peace Queeny.

Hopefully Charles reign won't be for long. Tbh I think it should skip a generation and go straight to william
I hope not, Charles is very thoughtful even if sometimes his words may seem unpopular; I have little time for William, gives me the impression he's a hypocrite. I'd sooner have Harry/Henry any day (just a pity about his misses).

Apart from the Abdication, you mean?
Edward VIII made a choice and had to live with it.
Just as well he did. A fascist sympathiser wouldn't have lasted long in those days.

Then it's all the way back to James II - a Catholic with no sense of Constitutional monarchy.
Charles I had his head removed after losing the argument over the Divine Right of Kings.
I suppose Henry VI could be included as he was incapacitated with seizures his whole life: poor bloke was born into a role for which he was completely unsuited.
More often than not Medieval kings were killed in battle or in the case of Edward II, ended their days in torment.

King Charles III will have it easy by comparison.
Just across the water:
Queen Beatrix signing the instrument of abdication, 2013.
1662713150708.png

But that was her choice.
Our Queen stayed to the end, and fair play to her. Worked to the end, and Charles is perfectly entitled to succeed her. I don't get why he shouldn't.

Strange system, that seems to work.

Just across the water:
Queen Beatrix signing the instrument of abdication, 2013.
View attachment 279062

But that was her choice.
Our Queen stayed to the end, and fair play to her. Worked to the end, and Charles is perfectly entitled to succeed her. I don't get why he shouldn't.

Strange system, that seems to work.
Just to clarify, Princess Beatrix (as she is now known) was and still is a very popular monarch, even possibly more popular than our own monarch in Denmark, and her decision to stand down was made purely on her own personal desires to 'retire' and allow a younger generation to become the new monarch.
Princess Beatrix's mother also resigned about 20 years before her death.

I think some of the comments on here are quite interesting. As I mentioned before, I'm far from being a royalist, however I can recognise and appreciate the service the Queen has given to the UK for her entire adult life and the fact that, for many, the Queen and indeed the Royal Family represent a sort of constant in their life.

Individuals are of course free to agree or disagree with the above, that's the beauty of living in a democratic country.

I hate to use Americanisms, however it's all about your reality and what things mean to you. For example, there'll be people saying/thinking 'what's all the fuss about???' because for them, the passing of the Queen doesn't mean much if anything. Fine. However, some of them might be avid Manchester United fans and, when Alex Ferguson passes away, some of them will be distraught. Equally, some might then say of them 'what's all the fuss about???'

It's about what's important to individuals, and I think we should respect that. Privileged life? Yes. Beautiful palaces to live in? Yes. However the service and dedication of that women to her country can't be denied ... by anyone.

I think some of the comments on here are quite interesting. As I mentioned before, I'm far from being a royalist, however I can recognise and appreciate the service the Queen has given to the UK for her entire adult life and the fact that, for many, the Queen and indeed the Royal Family represent a sort of constant in their life.

Individuals are of course free to agree or disagree with the above, that's the beauty of living in a democratic country.

I hate to use Americanisms, however it's all about your reality and what things mean to you. For example, there'll be people saying/thinking 'what's all the fuss about???' because for them, the passing of the Queen doesn't mean much if anything. Fine. However, some of them might be avid Manchester United fans and, when Alex Ferguson passes away, some of them will be distraught. Equally, some might then say of them 'what's all the fuss about???'

It's about what's important to individuals, and I think we should respect that. Privileged life? Yes. Beautiful palaces to live in? Yes. However the service and dedication of that women to her country can't be denied ... by anyone.
Good post, thanks.

Well she does seem to wearing the trousers in that partnership... Certainly been a disruption in the house of Windsor.
Do you glean this information from the right wing media?
But even if true, do you have a problem with an assertive woman? And that the man must be the one in control?
And I would suggest that in recent times pervert andy was a bigger disruption!

Fair point - though speaking as a United fan, i think the passing of Sir Bobby will provoke more emotional sentiments from a wider public.

But when you speak of duty, i find it astonishing she could still stand on ceremony to greet the new PM, less than 48 hours before she died.
Priviliged? Of course: She was THE Queen. When spoken of around the world you didn't have to say ...of the UK. It was implicitly understood.

Sponsored Links
Back