Looking for a rigid yet lightweight sheet material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of an unusual request, I know...

I'm looking for a sheet material which will be sized 170cm x 90cm and will be supported horizontally/flat on both short sides. It must be rigid (no sagging or risk of breaking) and also fairly lightweight.

I've tried 12mm MDF which is pretty good but sags slightly and before I continue the project I want to see if there's a better solution.

It will be covered in fabric so the look isn't important, but I will need to be able to drill many small 1.5mm holes through it.

Thanks! :)

Sponsored Links
Plywood or OSB is stronger than MDF by far - but any sheet material is going to distort to some degree.
Can you have a supporting frame underneath.....timber or steel - to aid support?
John :)

what load is it going to have on it ??
4x1" planed [94x19mm] may do or 89x38 cls
ahh ok scrub that scaffold boards 227mm x 3 or 4

Thanks - it is for ceiling panels with fibre optics so cannot be supported from underneath. There'll be no weight on them apart from the fabric and some fibre optic strands :)

Sponsored Links
One of the best sheet materials to resist bending is block board, not so readily available as it once was.
Thicknesses today are usually 18mm but 22 and 25 are available away from the diy sheds.
How about a beech solid worktop offcut?
John :)

We often make up 595 x 595mm patresses for the electricians to sit above suspended (false) ceiling panels supporting lighting, sensors (movement, PIR lighting control intruder alarm, temperature, etc) , sounders (alarms), etc. Depending what is being supported these are made from 6, 9, 12, 15 or 18mm hardwood plywood although the heavier ones often require additional support from the ceiling above (using small diameter braided steel cables, Gripples, etc). Plywood is fairly rigid, takes screws well and has a good load carrying capacity

What is the distribution pattern on the holes?
A thin sheet could have ribs glued at 90° to the horizontal to create a honeycomb effect.
Or screw through the sheet (missing your hole pattern) to a batten, using short lengths of narrow bore pipe as spacers so you have ribs - also possibly useful to hold the fibres in place

Cement board (calcium silicate or magnesium oxide) such as Masterboard, Hardybacker or Supalux.

Thanks - it is for ceiling panels with fibre optics so cannot be supported from underneath. There'll be no weight on them apart from the fabric and some fibre optic strands :)
Why not speak some of the suppliers for these to see what their panels are made from?

Oh I see its cm not mm :rolleyes:

Anyway, when suspended ceilings are done, the intermediate areas are suspended off wire/cable, so I suspect you will need to do the same and fix some brackets at various points and attach the other end to the structural ceiling. In this case you can use any material even MDF, and the bracket fixings will be hidden on the underside by the fabric.

Thanks all - Pre-made panels are generally 1m2 so less prone to sagging. My setup is slightly different so I require longer panels and I do not wish to have fixings visible.

I'll have a look into each of the suggestions!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back