- Joined
- 1 Dec 2021
- Messages
- 1,906
- Reaction score
- 295
- Country

Hello o learned ones 
I'm looking for a thumb up on "Reasonable" practice for adding a 240v spur.
In my Airing Cupboard i have a hot water tank with a immersion heater. (240V 3KW / 12.5A)
(I've a Gas boiler so it's not really used except for the odd boost.)
In said cupboard i also have:
A Sky router (240V-12V 10W, 0.05A)
A Hoover charger (240C-28V, 35W, 1.25A)
To power those 2 items, I've run a 240V single plug spur off the incoming immersion heater feed and have a double plug adapter.
I now also need to add:
A light (240V-12V, 2W, 0.0000A)
See picture below:
Wiring is:
240V in to 20A switch (neon) ---->Boost switch---->Immersion heater
----->Spur from 20A input ----> 13A Socket----------> Double plug.
The 20A switch is fed by 2.5mm, which is rated for 20A? (method depending).
The easy option here is to just screw a standard multipoint extension lead to the wall, plug it into my spur and plug my other 3 things into it.
But now i'm wondering if i am breaking any codes here?
Is this ok?
I don't need power from this socket, just a bit of voltage really to get those 3 small watt items working.
Should i change the single socket to say, a 5A fused one?
Any thoughts appreciated.

I'm looking for a thumb up on "Reasonable" practice for adding a 240v spur.
In my Airing Cupboard i have a hot water tank with a immersion heater. (240V 3KW / 12.5A)
(I've a Gas boiler so it's not really used except for the odd boost.)
In said cupboard i also have:
A Sky router (240V-12V 10W, 0.05A)
A Hoover charger (240C-28V, 35W, 1.25A)
To power those 2 items, I've run a 240V single plug spur off the incoming immersion heater feed and have a double plug adapter.
I now also need to add:
A light (240V-12V, 2W, 0.0000A)
See picture below:
Wiring is:
240V in to 20A switch (neon) ---->Boost switch---->Immersion heater
----->Spur from 20A input ----> 13A Socket----------> Double plug.
The 20A switch is fed by 2.5mm, which is rated for 20A? (method depending).
The easy option here is to just screw a standard multipoint extension lead to the wall, plug it into my spur and plug my other 3 things into it.
But now i'm wondering if i am breaking any codes here?
Is this ok?
I don't need power from this socket, just a bit of voltage really to get those 3 small watt items working.
Should i change the single socket to say, a 5A fused one?
Any thoughts appreciated.
