loop in connectors inside steel conduit, what is best to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replacing ceiling lights.

Steel conduit installation with conduit providing being the CPC. Is there a better solution than standard plastic terminal blocks for loop-in wiring, in case the CPC fails?

Sponsored Links
Wago connectors.

How exactly do you envisage the CPC failing, given that it's the steel conduit itself?

Wago connectors.

How exactly do you envisage the CPC failing, given that it's the steel conduit itself?

Rust, or something else sub standard in the installation. I had a completely rusted floor section because of water ingress from a balcony door.

A follow up question I have radials for my power sockets (converted from a ring), mainly using steel conduit with tin covered flex from the 60s, and some modern T&E cable. This resulted in a few sockets that have two flex and one solid cable in a connector. What's the best way to handle this? There currently all shoved in, which doesn't seem ideal. (25mm back box or the imperial equivilent)

Sponsored Links
My MO for radials in conduit has always been to run with 4mm singles (6491). I'd be using the existing cables to pull a full set of 3 singles through as the T&E will be massively derated in conduit, plus the flex is not ideal either.

My MO for radials in conduit has always been to run with 4mm singles (6491). I'd be using the existing cables to pull a full set of 3 singles through as the T&E will be massively derated in conduit, plus the flex is not ideal either.

The correct cables are used in there respective places, i.e. conduit singles in steel conduit, T&E with solid cores used elsewhere outside of the steel conduit. Its at the socket where a branch occurs and you have three cables connecting at the socket one with a mix of flex and solid core, connecting onto the socket connector that is not ideal.

The correct cables are used in there respective places, i.e. conduit singles in steel conduit, T&E with solid cores used elsewhere outside of the steel conduit. Its at the socket where a branch occurs and you have three cables connecting at the socket one with a mix of flex and solid core, connecting onto the socket connector that is not ideal.

That's where it starts to sound like it's spurred off, which on a suitable breaker should still be fed via t&e if it's in open air.

Not sure what you are getting at.

From the description it sounds like the original socket circuit is a singles radial in conduit, but that someone has spurred off one of the sockets using flex. I could have read it wrong, but if that's the case then I'm saying the spurred socket should be in either singles or t&e depending if it's in conduit or not.

Although the termination of T&E and flex in the same terminal might be a problem, there's nothing wrong with flex in the open air or buried.

I've just ripped a load out of a house because a DIY'er plastered it into the walls to add sockets in a bedroom. It's not something I would recommend for any fixed installation.

The strands were too thin for a start as this DIY'er had just used normal flex found on extension reels. Personally I prefer to use the cables for their intended purpose, but the main reasons would be the ease of t&e for pulling through & plastering over, plus the (slight) increased mechanical protection it offers. Also it sends alarm bells ringing if I see flex used for fixed installs.

Ok, but there is nothing in the regulations to say one way or the other.

Some would say flex is better as the CPC is the same size as the live conductors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back