Loop wiring 2 switches.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I decided to take down the ridiculous amount of strip lights on the ceiling of my utility ready to decorate, unfortunately I've now made it so both light switches have no effect. I have 5 wires coming from the ceiling but am struggling to get it back running.

Cable 1 (live,neutral, earth) - identified as live mains as tested
Cable 2 (live,neutral, earth) - appears to power a light in kitchen as when that light doesn't work. This is on a seperate switch.
Cable 3 (live,neutral, earth) - powers a light at front of house which is on a seperate switch.
Cable 4 - only live and earth
Cable 5 - only live and earth.
Cable 6 - to light fitting (live,neutral, earth)

Only Cable 1 is a live feed.

I have 2 switches for the utility lights so how do I go about wiring them in. I'm guessing the 2 wires with only live and earth, are the loop.

I'm competent enough (well I think i am) to wire up etc but I just don't know how it needs to be done.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20181212_170948.jpg
    20181212_170948.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 152
Sponsored Links
Are cables 1, 2, & 3 the ones in the connector block and do the kitchen and front lights work as they should?

Where did cable 6 come from and where ist it?

They are indeed yes. Front light and switch and kitchen light and switch work fine. Cable 6 is the one going to the light which is out of shot on the picture.

Can we have a picture of the utility switch so we can see which cables the wires come out of and where they are connected to the switch?

Were all of the "ridiculous amount of strip lights" connected to cable 6?

Sponsored Links
Pictures attached. On the double switch the one closest is for the utility. The other side is the light which cable 3 connects to at front of house.
And yes the utility lights were daisy chained from the first off Cable 6.

Attachments

• 20181212_183919.jpg
    20181212_183919.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 20181212_183747.jpg
    20181212_183747.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 139
I don't think it is going to be possible to work it out from here so I think an electrician is the only safe answer.

Yeah it's tricky. I. Can see that both switches have a cable with only the live which goes to COM. I'm guessing that those are cables 4 and 5. Does that help at all. Thanks for your help.

Where is your picture of the connections before you took down the light?

All those reds are not live, cables don't know what colour they are.

So, I decided to take down the ridiculous amount of strip lights on the ceiling of my utility ready to decorate, unfortunately I've now made it so both light switches have no effect. I have 5 wires coming from the ceiling but am struggling to get it back running.

Cable 1 (live,neutral, earth) - identified as live mains as tested
Cable 2 (live,neutral, earth) - appears to power a light in kitchen as when that light doesn't work. This is on a seperate switch.
Cable 3 (live,neutral, earth) - powers a light at front of house which is on a seperate switch.
Cable 4 - only live and earth
Cable 5 - only live and earth.
Cable 6 - to light fitting (live,neutral, earth)

Only Cable 1 is a live feed.

I have 2 switches for the utility lights so how do I go about wiring them in. I'm guessing the 2 wires with only live and earth, are the loop.

I'm competent enough (well I think i am) to wire up etc but I just don't know how it needs to be done.

Thanks in advance.
This is my guess:
upload_2018-12-16_0-5-38.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back