LOOSE ELECTRICAL FACEPLATE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a twin socket that has a loose faceplate. The reason appears to be the metal retainer within the socket has become too large. I cannot easily replace the socket due to some poor tiling stopping me from replacing the whole unit.

Any ideas on how I can get rid of the loose faceplate?

Sponsored Links
If its the adjustbale lug, then canabalise one from a spare box

Try and rethread the lug and use a slightly bigger screw? Not too much bigger though

Sponsored Links
Just araldite a 3.5mm nut to the backface of the offending lug.

Do it up gently - should be ok

:cool:

buy a 3.5 mm re-threader from a good electrical wholesaler.

get some pliers and give the lug on the box a bit of a twist so the screw hole becomes slightly distorted.
re-thread the hole with the re-threader. be careful with it as it can snap off in the hole.
use a new screw if the old one looks suspect.

Another option:
Drill out the existing metal lug with a 4mm bit, so the 3.5mm screw will pass through easily.
Drill a 3mm hole in the back of the metal box in line with the lug (use the lug as a guide), then thread the hole.
Fit the faceplate using a long screw which passes through the lug (to keep it in the correct place) and into the new threaded hole at the back.

Another option:
Drill out the existing metal lug with a 4mm bit, so the 3.5mm screw will pass through easily.
Drill a 3mm hole in the back of the metal box in line with the lug (use the lug as a guide), then thread the hole.
Fit the faceplate using a long screw which passes through the lug (to keep it in the correct place) and into the new threaded hole at the back.

Go with this, great idea

thanks for all the responses. I actually went with the twisting of the lugs and then rethreading them. This appears to have done the job. so top jolly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back