Loose Half Newel Post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into our new home and discovered the handrail on our walkway is loose. On investigation the timber fitted to the wall which the hand rail fixes into has movement, and as you can see from the pictures their is a gap at the bottom. From research i understand this is called a half newel post?

How do i fix this?

There is a visible screw on the side which i have tried to tighten but is already tight. When moving the newel post laterally you can feel it hitting some kind of bracket or post.

View media item 93744 View media item 93745 View media item 93746 View media item 93747 View media item 93748

Sponsored Links
might be easiest to open the wall the other side and look for timbers it should be fixed to and pilot the timber noggin and screw into the back off the newel

you may off course find there is no timber but wall anchors or similar that will be the problem

Sponsored Links
might be easiest to open the wall the other side and look for timbers it should be fixed to and pilot the timber noggin and screw into the back off the newel

you may off course find there is no timber but wall anchors or similar that will be the problem

not sure if a noggin has been put in the wall. What size opening do you mean on the other side of the wall as i don't want to create more repair work than necessary.

ideally to the stud each side
cut to the side off the nail/screw head in a line so the board can be fixed back to the timber
remember unless the half newel is within 50mm of a stud you will have to fix a timber between the studs horizontally to fix the newel to

ideally to the stud each side
cut to the side off the nail/screw head in a line so the board can be fixed back to the timber
remember unless the half newel is within 50mm of a stud you will have to fix a timber between the studs horizontally to fix the newel to

Thanks for your help. This job sounds like it's best left to a professional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back