Loose join in 50 mm kitchen waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed today how loose my waste pipes under the kitchen sink. Most of these were fitted 12 years ago by a kitchen fitter.

Have tightened most of them up, ensuring O rings in place.

However, there is one joint that doesn't tighten up. I can tighten up the lock nut, yet the pipe can be pulled out of the fitting very easily.

It may be an older fitting that this 12 year old pipe has to join to, as the original pipework emerges from the wall, where it becomes inaccessible.

It may well be the case this pipe has always been loose, as it is slotted in place and kind of holds itself together. Water appears to run through without a leak. But it could get disturbed and go unnoticed.

Any tips how to get a more secure joint, besides trying whole new fittings? Is there another kind of O ring available for this kind of problem?

As it's near to the wall I don't want to disturb too much in case I end up disturbing an inaccessible part. (The older pipework goes through the wall, then into a 4 inch waste pipe that is well and truly boxed in.)

Sponsored Links
Does the compression fitting have the nut,anti slip collar and tapered rubber seal?.Without the nylon collar the fitting won't tighten.

Haven't noticed any anti slip collars on any of the pipes.

Will look up anti slip collars now.

I presume this works like an olive on an 'ordinary' compression joint?

Will do some research...

Not found much on these collars so far - I take it they always come supplied with the fitting?

Can anyone describe one for me? I don't think I've seen any on any of the joints in my place.

Sponsored Links
Not sure if you can buy them seperately ?
You might need to buy a 40mm (not 50) fitting and rob it or swap the fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back