Lottery of Combi Boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have taken the plunge to have a combi boiler installed but have had varying advice on which one to go for from Worcester Bosch (expensive but very reliable) to Vaillant to Alpha. INfact the shouts for Alpha's have been quite loud that they are really good and reliable, Worcester are rolls royce of boilers and Vaillants they only see to fix which is quite regularly.

I am looking at a standard combi and a 28kwh. Can someone please advise the reliability etc of the Alpha CB28 and whether I should have a rethink and go for another make. Imparticulat the Vaillant?

Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal or not although I know it does depend on the house design and how easy they forsee the job being.

£2050 for a a new boiler (Alpha CB28) being fitted in the cupboard presently housing the hot water storage, removal of old boiler from bathroom, veritical flue installation up through roof, 22mm gas pipe from understairs cupboard to ex airing cupboard and 5 TRVs.

Sponsored Links
Do not touch alpha with a bargepole! I have had a CB24 for 4.5 years. I'm putting it in a skip as it has just broken down for the third time in just over 3 years. I have already paid out £100 for a new clock, £200 for a new pcb and have just narrowly avoided paying out another £200 for a diverter valve etc Mine has been total and utter second rate rubbish. I'm getting a worcester at the weekend :)

The CB80 is only a SEDBUK D.

You are high efficiency exempt?

Personally I'd prolly have either a Ferroli F30 *waits to get slated* or a Worcs Bosch.

This should really be an HE boiler as its after 1 April.Are you exempt from this scheme or are you not bothering with a CORGI fitter? ;)

Sponsored Links
I booked the work before April 1st therefore am still able to install a non-condensing boiler. I am slightly worried as the install is due to go ahead next week and not sure if the bloke has bought the boiler yet but found this site and was desperate for last minute advice. He swears by them and installs almost nothing but, said Worcester were expensive but reliable and Vaillants he hates as he has had nothing but problem with them. Another guy said he'd fit nothing but Worcester or Vaillant. Totally confused although alpha have got a 3 year warranty with theirs which is good and what of this cyclone thing to keep crap out of the boiiler is that just a cheapy party trick??!!

I have a 2 bed mid terraced house, I want a combi (space/slightly better efficiency as we're not big hot water users neither do we have lots of baths).

I just need a good all round idea asap whether I should foot the extra money for a Worcester or stick with the Alpha. Everyone has good and bad stories to say about them from using them but any installers out there that can say which they have less callouts for etc help would be gratefully received.

f30 do not waste your money,unreliable italian crap if i had to have a combi inthis order would be my preference,viessman,valiant, worc,vokera the rest i would not go near

Strange that, the first combi I fitted was about 20 years ago, with Vaillant on the front

The second one will be the Alpha 32 condencing combi, starting tomorrow.

Man in the office said they are very reliable and easy to work on.

We shall see :LOL: :LOL:

I even get to do the 76mm gas pipe, ;)

I have heard they are very easy to work on but as for their reliability who knows, the condensing combi is obviously quite a recent addition which worries me about their overall reliability, just wish I could get more views from people who have the Alpha CB28. Only got a week to change my mind cos I am seriously wanting to change to Worcester Bosch for alittle more and a ****ed off installer who will be called oince again to change details.

Out of intrest, what part of the F30 do you find un-reliable? I find views on Ferrolis to be very polarised.

I'm yet to have a problem with one, except the pressure gauge occationally being faulty when fitted, but the reps will give you those free.

I didn't realise it mattered when the work was booked.

WorcesterBosch - are expencive but reliable, they suffer from blocked DHW heat exchangers, and demand an immaculatly clean system on install.

Vailent - Like Ferroli it has very polarised views, my opinion, over engineered with too much to go wrong, generally work flawlessly for 15-20 years then drop down dead, EcoMAX looks promising and well constructed however only time will tell.

Alpha - Erm, good luck with that?

Vokera - suffer from fan faults, pcb problems and knobs with weak shafts

Just my opinion (who elses can I give), Your mileage may vary.

f30 faults in my opinion/experience
faulty pressure gauge
fan venturi
pcb flimsy design mf03 type
heat exchanger normally splits after installation
baaaasssssstard to hang on your own in a small cupboard
these are just a few of the niggles this boiler has but then again it is a very budget/basic combi.

Well I am getting a 3 year warranty on my boiler to start with and had no known owners complain so not really fussed, all of you have different experiences and will let you know how it goes.

Seems every make has their downpoints and how ruddy not helpful a comment such as

'Alpha - good luck with that'

I mean how useful is that, have you had plenty of experience with them, installed many,, maybe had to fix loads. From a lost of people I have heard they are easy to install and easy to fix (if they do go wrong).

If it goes pear shaped then I guess I just have to accept that.

Thanks everyone who gave feedback even if there was little in the way of Alpha.

I have no experiance of alphas, hence good luck... hope it turns out well... didn't mean it to sound like it did.

DarkInferno said:
I have no experiance of alphas, hence good luck... hope it turns out well... didn't mean it to sound like it did.

Understood and wil let you know. I had not heard too much about them but then again the more you hear the more the views are split, I guess its like anything the more opinions you get the more divided they are some won't fit Vaillants full stop as they hate them, other people love 'em LOL

rofl5.gif

rofl5.gif

rofl5.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back