Lovely is it not

Sponsored Links
Rewire time.

Sends a message to all those who unscrew switches without isolating the power. Something like that could go bang in your face. :LOL:

At least the back box is connected to a cpc :rolleyes:

This is letted property, that I was asked to change the Consumer Unit on.
I recall someone saying "why bother doing a PIR prior to CU change!"
Anyway there was a young family in the property, with two wee ones.
I informed the tenants and the landlord that there was a major problem with the lighting circuit and action was needed immediately and emailed my report to him. It took three weeks for the landlord to contact me back and that was only after a phone call from the council!

Sends a message to all those who unscrew switches without isolating the power. Something like that could go bang in your face. :LOL:

One should not stick ones face directly in front of live accessories being pulled forward then. Obviously :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I assume that is VIR to deteriorate that badly? Just staggered people can do these bodges :(

It was one of a number of switches that had been bodged up this way within the property also all junction box terminations were showing signs of failure.
It seems that the landlord was not responsible for the remedial work on the VIR cables but a previous owner.
The landlord was a little ruffled by the PIR report and considering he is a building service manager for one of the bigger retail outlets in the UK, a little in embarrassed to, but not embarrassed enough to do anything about it until he was reported to the local council!

I assume that is VIR to deteriorate that badly? Just staggered people can do these bodges :(
Sadly not an isolated incident. Here's a similar one from last year:

Same attempt to repair with insulation tape. Even if the person had no electrical knowledge at all, they must have known what they were doing was wrong.

That is what I don't get. In both cases I would imagine a fault developed in the switch or socket so the owner diagnosed the problem but instead of getting it rewired did this which is a blatant fire hazard.

A lot of people are dumb and just think the fuse will blow if there is any fault. I only have basic electrical knowledge myself and if I found VIR like that the first thing I would do is isolate the circuit and get a spark to rewire it.

Looks like someone has been round to the house I'm working on in Slovakia to take some pics! :LOL:

Rather than trying to use just tape, the best way to bodge a repair to that kind of wiring is to slide off all that insulation on the cores and slip over continous lengths of insulation stripped from some new same sized cable. Just as a temporary repair.

Only trouble is if you do it too well it may look like a new installation.

Anyone got any pictures of any failed PVC cable?

Counterfeit foreign cable and 60s wiring with the green slime are the obvious examples of course.

Rather than trying to use just tape, the best way to bodge a repair to that kind of wiring is to slide off all that insulation on the cores and slip over continous lengths of insulation stripped from some new same sized cable. Just as a temporary repair.

Only trouble is if you do it too well it may look like a new installation.

Or heatshrink

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back