Low energy bathroom downlighters. These any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We are just about to have our bathroom redone and were looking about for some nice low energy downlighters suitable for use in a small, steamy bathroom.

Having seen a link on the forums here to lightsaver.co.uk we had a look on there and found these.

I just had a couple of quick questions...

a) They are IP65 and so I think I'm right in saying they are suitable from a regulations point of view?

b) No transformers will be needed will they? They just run off the mains?

c) Anyone have idea of what kind of light they give? Anyone used them before? I'd ideally like something warm white but I know low energy can tend to be a bit harsh?

d) Anyone know of any alternatives that would do a better job?

Thanks in advance for any pointers! :)

Andy

Sponsored Links
Here we go, here we go, here we go...... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Appologies Andy, you'll understand soon enough :)

They're quite expensive. Do you need fire rated fittings?
If not then you'll be looking to pay under £10 for an IP65 fitting and under £10 for a 11watt Megaman CFL.

I have four in my en-suite, an area of around 3M x 1.2M. They take a minute or so to reach full brightness but I find that helps first thing in the morning. When they're at full brightness I find the light output more than acceptable. They're 2700K so warm white in colour and very easy on the eye.
I've installed 4000K lamps and find the light output dreadful. It's really harsh.

These are the fittings I installed, made by Eterna.

Yes, you'll probably find a dedicated fitting may give a greater light output but it boils down to what look you want to achieve.

BAS will be along shortly ;)

Thats really helpful, thanks for that.

No we don't need fireproof I think those just caught my eye on that site as they were the only fittings that specifically mentioned low energy bulbs.

So you can just use any standard GU10 bulb in a bathroom? i.e. It's only the fitting that needs to be IP65 rated? We used some GU10s with loads of LEDs in my daughters room but yup I think that was too harsh.

Cheers,

Andy

We are just about to have our bathroom redone and were looking about for some nice low energy downlighters suitable for use in a small, steamy bathroom.
Why steamy? Should you install a more powerful fan?

What's above the bathroom? If it's a loft are you aware of the difficulties you'll face in complying with Parts L and C of the Building Regulations if you install recessed lighting? If it's a flat roof are you aware that it will be impossible to comply with Parts L & C?

a) They are IP65 and so I think I'm right in saying they are suitable from a regulations point of view?
Wiring Regulations, yes, possibly not Building Regulations.

It says 240V on the page you linked to....

c) Anyone have idea of what kind of light they give?
A narrow beam, unsuitable for actually lighting a room.

That lighting format was designed to highlight individual or display items - 'tis not without reason that they are often called "spotlights". They were not designed to provide a good and even spread of light - in fact an even spread was precisely what they were designed to not give.

Almost anything.

Sponsored Links
Yes, any lamp as long as the fitting meets the minimum IP rating for it's intended location. In this case, a minimum of IPX4.

Which make of general area GU10 luminaires are compatable with megaman CFLs?

General area as in open backed? Not a fire rated can?

Are you looking for a fitting to be compatible with all Megaman lamp sizes?

7watt lamps are the same size as 230v GU10's whereas 11watt lamps are longer.

Aye, they are just going in a false ceiling. Fire rated isn't required either.
I have found in the past some megaman lamps tend to foul the springs which lold the lamp fitting up into the ceiling.
I think i'll end up with 11watt megaman lamps.
Height isn't a problem as there is over a foot above the ceiling.

JCC open backed downlighters accept all sizes of CFL's due to the lampholder not being fixed. Also there's no issue with the lamp coming into contact with the springs.

I normally use twist lock fittings though the lamp sits upwards a milileter or so due to the three thingamajigs.

JC2033_BR.jpg

Just don't get that colour!

jc2033smallcad.jpg

Why steamy? Should you install a more powerful fan?

What's above the bathroom? If it's a loft are you aware of the difficulties you'll face in complying with Parts L and C of the Building Regulations if you install recessed lighting? If it's a flat roof are you aware that it will be impossible to comply with Parts L & C?

Wiring Regulations, yes, possibly not Building Regulations.

It says 240V on the page you linked to....

c) Anyone have idea of what kind of light they give?
A narrow beam, unsuitable for actually lighting a room.

That lighting format was designed to highlight individual or display items - 'tis not without reason that they are often called "spotlights". They were not designed to provide a good and even spread of light - in fact an even spread was precisely what they were designed to not give.

Almost anything.

MODS - hardly helpful is it?

MODS - hardly helpful is it?

That's a matter of opinion. As is BAS's post.
His opinion is that downlighters are not a suitable way of lighting a room, especially one where you need a lot of light (bathrooms and kitchens, in particular).

think about how you use a room such as a bathroom or kitchen .......

there is a reason spotlights became deriguer and that is because they work and work well

in this thread as so many others the actual O/P is irrelevant in BAS`s eyes, the O/P hasnt said downlighters will be his only source of light has he?

You are quite right, and I apologise for making a stupid assumption.

I hadn't thought taht he might have a stock of head torches to wear while he is shaving.

Argh there goes my New Year's Resolution

:(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back