Low energy bathroom downlighters. These any good?

Gosh who woulda thought a post about lighting a bathroom would create so much excitement? :LOL:

Thanks for all the info guys, in terms of suitability I think downlighters might be ok in this case as it is the worlds smallest "family" bathroom (1.85m2). If we use 4 downlighters that should hopefully mean it is thoroughly lit (particularly with reflective tiles and a mirror as someone pointed out).

There is a loft above, will use of downlighters, as BAS said, cause problems with building regulations? They are going to be professionally installed.

Cheers,

Andy

Sponsored Links
Andy.T";p="1458945 said:
Gosh who woulda thought a post about lighting a bathroom would create so much excitement? :LOL:

/quote]

Anyone who has witnessed the discussions on downlighters on this forum before really :D

We are in a post Christmas period where everyone is a bit bored and a bit hung over. This is meaning we are having some red hot disscusions about not a lot, a lot of the time, normal service will resume tommorow I guess. :cool:

Martin

Sponsored Links
There is a loft above, will use of downlighters, as BAS said, cause problems with building regulations?
If it's a loft to which you have access it's not insurmountable.

You must build or buy a sealed cover for the lights which is large enough to provide the clearance the makers say, and it must be sealed to the top of the plasterboard. The idea is that you must prevent any air from the bathroom getting into the loft space.

Then you must get more loft insulation so that you can extend it over all the sides of the cover so that it is no less effective there than everywhere else.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NHBCPublicati...ical/StandardsExtra/filedownload,16553,en.pdf

Pre-formed cap to seal downlights: http://www.aico.co.uk/firecap_loftcap.htm (It's NOT a firehood....)

IET article on installing downlighters safely

They are going to be professionally installed.
Unfortunately many electricians think that their work only has to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations, but actually it has to comply with all of them - Part A, Part B, Part C etc etc.

You may well get one who says "oh you don't have to bother with all that", and he may be right in practice if he knows that the local BCOs don't do their job properly, but if you don't seal things and air from the bathroom does get in the loft then it could easily cause condensation which will rot the roof timbers, and if you don't insulate properly you'll lose money on heating and get convection currents/draughts.

And all that effort for lighting which won't work properly....

You must build or buy a sealed cover for the lights which is large enough to provide the clearance the makers say, and it must be sealed to the top of the plasterboard. The idea is that you must prevent any air from the bathroom getting into the loft space.

All IP65 downlighters than i've installed come with a seal which sits between the ceiling and the rim entirely for that purpose.

The use of IP65 fittings in most bathroom ceilings is not necessary.

IP44 fittings are quite adequate and give a better spread of light as the lamp is not hidden up inside the fitting.

IP44 fittings are also provided with a moisture seal.

All IP65 downlighters than i've installed come with a seal which sits between the ceiling and the rim entirely for that purpose.
And the bodies of the luminaires are completely airtight, are they?

IP65 means they are proof against dust and water jets.

Water vapour molecules are a lot smaller than dust particles - what makes you think than an IP65 light is vapour proof?

And the bodies of the luminaires are completely airtight, are they?

IP65 means they are proof against dust and water jets.

Water vapour molecules are a lot smaller than dust particles - what makes you think than an IP65 light is vapour proof?

I couldn't say for sure but if I had to hazzard a guess then I would say yes, in the case of the luminaire that i've just looked at. I couldn't comment on others without seeing them.
The glass is pressed hard against the body with a seal inbetween. It's like a large 'o' ring.

...under £10 for a 11watt Megaman CFL.

I have four in my en-suite, an area of around 3M x 1.2M. They take a minute or so to reach full brightness but I find that helps first thing in the morning. When they're at full brightness I find the light output more than acceptable. They're 2700K so warm white in colour and very easy on the eye.

Gary - Where would be a good place to get these 11w 2700k Megaman (Megamen?) bulbs online?

Cheers,

Andy

Are they these ones do you think? I can't see on the page it mentioning if they are 2700k or not.

Cheers,

Andy

It was B&Q where I bought them from, locally though and not online.
I think you would be fine with either 2700K or 3000K but not 4000K.
I've fitted a few 4000K CFL's due to customer request and I hate the harshness of the light.

Buy megaman GU10 lamps from ebay. I got 6 for £25. Packed in Polystyrene nuggets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back