Low energy bathroom downlighters. These any good?

Sponsored Links
there is a reason spotlights became deriguer and that is because they work and work well

I dont always agree with Ban's approach (though i get why he has it) but in his crusade against spots and downlights I have to wholeheartedly agree with him on this one.

Spots are popular because they look nicer, strips are better because they actually work.

Without wishing to get involved with the 'are they good or not' debate - it might be worth pointing out that down lighters can be fitted with spot lamps (beam angles in the range from about 5 to 21 degrees) or flood lamps (beam angles in the range 21 to 60 degrees).

You need to choose the correct lamp for your application.

Sponsored Links
MODS - hardly helpful is it?
Care to explain which answer(s) of mine to the OP's questions were "hardly helpful"?

Feel free to be rational and coherent.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1458333#1458333

feel free to spam the boards afterwards

rockandroll if you have nothing to contribute and just want to hurl petty insults about, please stick to the alarms forum. You are not welcome here

It's in bad taste to correct spelling on an electrical forum.

In a bathroom I like these

Plenty of good light.
Don't cost a fortune to run.
Reliable too.

These give off a very nice light. We have one in our bathroom with a circular fluorescent tube inside. Give a very soft light without harsh shadows, especially coupled with a large mirror.

My concern with downlighters would be that in a shower cubicle your head might block all the light and cast annoying shadows over the place. I'm not just making this up, I have experienced it - not pleasant. I've also nearly burned my head on a downlighter fitted to the sloping ceiling above the toilet in an under-stairs loo! But that's a different story...

However, with white reflective walls, floor and ceiling in a fairly large bathroom, you should probably get enough reflected light to even out the uneven light produced and get rid of most shadows.

Despite this, I would seriously consider the fitting in that photo above. I think B&Q sell them.

Colin C

Despite this, I would seriously consider the fitting in that photo above. I think B&Q sell them.

Colin C

Thanks Colin

They are at Screwfix here

£33 each.

I also like the fact that they come complete with a rubber sealing mat and that if any condensation is around it is likely to run harmlessly to the middle of the plastic dome and drip down, rather that get inside.

These should be used De rigueur (De rigueur is a French expression that literally means "of rigor" or "of strictness". In English language usage, it means "necessary according to etiquette, protocol or fashion.")

This is such an informative forum, I can't believe I am learning French as well. Brittany here I come. :)

Martin

PS B&Q do do them too, but I don't know how much they are there.

One mans ugly is another's beauty!

Innit?

It only a suggestion, no need for profanities this early on a Sunday.

Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back