Low Energy security lights

A neighbour of mine fitted an LED security light a couple of months ago.

My comments:

1) The light given off is bright but does not give anthing like the coverage that his previous spotlight gave (I reckon he will need three LED lights to cover the same area).

2) It is very prone to light up when its windy.

However, just as with indoor lighting you will get better illumination by placing several lower output light fittings around the area instead of one bright mofo.

Which starts to defeat the whole object of reducing energy consumption!

Sponsored Links

The total sum of power doesn't have to be anything near as high as is needed from one light source.

I also need some new floodlights. I dont need the power of a 3-500watt halogen, just enough to be able to see around the drive/garden in winter to get to the car/shed without walking into things.

It does appear that LEDs are currently prohibativly expensive.

I then looked at a number of florecent/cfl fittings some of which looked quite good, but i have not got around to buying anything else.

Owain can you shead some more light (excuse the pun) on these '70W Sodium or Metal Halide lamps' you prefer, presumably they are high pressure sodiums so not too yellow, but the metal halide a whiter light? What are start up and re-strike times like which would be critical in a PIR controled security/flood light.

Would something like this do the job? http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLFL70H.html

Daniel

You wouldn't have metal halide or sodium lights on a PIR.

If you want a PIR then you'll have to use CFLs

Sponsored Links
If you want a PIR then you'll have to use CFLs
Ok, That answers that one then. I thought that might be the case. May still be scope to go for a low power CFL on a PIR and a metal halide on switch for increased light if needed.
- Ie, CFL so I can get to the car without falling into it, MH if i want or need to work on it.

Daniel

The total sum of power doesn't have to be anything near as high as is needed from one light source.

No, but it does start to defeat the benefits, and also you have the increase in carbon footprint due to the need for several lamps rather than one.

You would be better off putting a lower wattage bulb in your existing lamp, consumption may still be higher but you will still get a similar amount of brightness to LEDs, but with a much better coverage.

No, but it does start to defeat the benefits, and also you have the increase in carbon footprint due to the need for several lamps rather than one.

I wouldn't factor in the carbon footprint of having 'several lamps'. It's probably small compared to driving to the shop to buy a replacement halogen lamp.

You would be better off putting a lower wattage bulb in your existing lamp, consumption may still be higher but you will still get a similar amount of brightness to LEDs, but with a much better coverage.

Better off in what way? Having a big pool of light near the floodlamp and not much a few meters away?

Better off in what way? Having a big pool of light near the floodlamp and not much a few meters away?

That is not an issue with halogen floodlights, but for LEDs. You currently cannot beat halogens for light output and coverage - LED technology is a long way behind.

I disagree that it's not a problem with halogen lights. You only get good light output for around 2 metres or so, then you get heavy shadows or direct glare from the fitting depending on which way you're facing - particularly when it can't be mounted more than 2 meters high.

We have a few 2D fittings in our back garden around the perimeter and you get no shadows and can see very clearly. Plus it doesn't shine into the house opposite :evil:

I've had a quick scout around and found these two CFl floods, not a lot between them as far as i can tell. They dont take standard cfl bulbs which is a downside in terms of compatibility but it appears performance of these is better and blubs last that long anyway. http://www.energysavinglightsdirect.co.uk/Luxora-40C-Eco-Floodlight-With-Lamp.html
http://www.qvsdirect.com/Securitec-40W-Energy-Saving-Fluroescent-Floodlight-Black-pr-24592.html

As said, it doesnt appear LEDs can compete yet on a cost/output basis.
http://www.scldirect.co.uk/floodlights/led-floodlights.html

Daniel

One thing with CFL lights is they take a few minutes to warm up. Sort of the opposite of what you want in a security light.

One thing with CFL lights is they take a few minutes to warm up. Sort of the opposite of what you want in a security light.
It true. I think im going to buy one and see how it goes, if it really awful i can fit it back with a halogen.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back