Low pitched dormer into 42degree main roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would having a dormer with a 20degree pitched roof be an issue when it's built onto a roof with a 42(ish) degree pitch?

I'm hoping to avoid having a dormer with a flat roof.

Sponsored Links
It is not a problem having a different pitch on the dormer. but you may need to use a different tile on the dormer that is compatible with the 20 degree pitch.

I'm just measuring up now.

If I could have a 2.4mtr wide dormer with 0.5mtrs of fall on each side the rafter angle would be (I think) 22.6degrees.

The neighbour has Marley double roman tiles which I would want to match, ours are poor condition Rosemary's at the minute.

I heard on another thread that Marleys spec of 22.5degrees relates to the rafter angle, but also heard it relates to the angle of the finished tile, which is correct?

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

Does anyone know which one of Marleys double romans this is:

IMG_1304.JPG

Last edited:
That would give me 2.1mtrs head height at the sides and 2.6mtrs under the centre.

Sponsored Links
Would having a dormer with a 20degree pitched roof be an issue when it's built onto a roof with a 42(ish) degree pitch?

I'm hoping to avoid having a dormer with a flat roof.
I built the dormer below with a differing pitch to the main roof. I thought a shallower pitch would suit the dormer better than that of the (steep) main roof.

Very nice :). Do you remember how wide you built that?

I've never been in a dormer but thought 2.4mtrs would be a decent size.

The reason I'm doing this is because we had a guy do us plans for a flat roofed dormer but they got knocked back by the council for going over the 50cu/mtr limit. I'm thinking 2 pitched roof dormers would save on volume and look better than a big box on the roof.

Very nice :). Do you remember how wide you built that?
It's a little under 2200mm wide from cheek to cheek. You have to allow for about 50mm of celotex insulation across the face of the internal studs so plan this when setting out the window opening.

The reason I'm doing this is because we had a guy do us plans for a flat roofed dormer but they got knocked back by the council for going over the 50cu/mtr limit. I'm thinking 2 pitched roof dormers would save on volume and look better than a big box on the roof.
True but won't be half as useful, can't you step it abit further back up the roof or wouldn't that be practical how much out were you to fall under PD

It was 5mtrs over the limit including a 33mtr extension over an existing flat roofed double extension.

The bit over the flat roof has planning permission but he advised me to get a certificate or lawfulness for a PD dormer.

The dormer will be split in 2 internally, 1 bedroom bit, 1 bathroom bit. I though with 2 dormers I could build the dividing wall between them so it doesn't affect the inside too much.

in that case do it, it will look better than a box.
That's a bugger should have just built it, can't see that anyone was going to notice the difference in 5cum and question it wasn't PD

I bet he could have listed it as 49.9cu/mtr and got the certificate.

I also believe that if he had submitted that design in the first place on the planning permission, the 50mtr rule would not apply. He designed the original one too big too, that was knocked back for taking up a disproportionate area of the roof because it extended sideways over the extension.

I'm working somewhere today which has a dormer exactly like I imagine ours to be like but with a smaller window.

It's about 2.5mtrs wide judging by the slabs in the garden and the angle looks about right. I can't even see the roof tiles so ones different to the house wouldn't matter.

IMG_1916.PNG

I might ask if I can look in it tomorrow to get an idea of the inside space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back