Low Pitched slate roof is leaking - Possible solutions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had an L shaped extension built around my house and the roof has a 9-10 degree pitch
I've had leaks coming through and had the work done again both times OSB boarded
counter battens and also double up on breathable membrane. with the slates having a
bigger overlap. This was in December 2014 I'm still waiting to move in and have had many
problems. The builder has re-roofed this section and used permavent easy slate strips
this has got rid of most of the leaks but I still notice damp patches during heavy rain.

One possible solution ive been thinking and been told about is to strip down to the OSB
board and use torch on felt underlay a high quality one like Icopal Torch Safe T.A
and then felt over with Icopal tecnatorch sand. Then counterbatten and use torch on felt
over the vertical battens for further protection and then batten again and fix the sales again as
just for aesthetics the primary roof would be the torch on felt.
Would this help. This has been a big stress for me. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can have slates, but you must first cover it as a felt/flat roof to provide the waterproofing, and then batten and counterbatten for your slates which will be realy just for aesthetics.

Care needs to be taken at the eaves or verge to prevent it looking a bit crap with an odd-looking deep fascia

Sponsored Links
You can have slates, but you must first cover it as a felt/flat roof to provide the waterproofing, and then batten and counterbatten for your slates which will be realy just for aesthetics.

Care needs to be taken at the eaves or verge to prevent it looking a bit crap with an odd-looking deep fascia

Thanks for your help. Yea the slate is just for aesthetics I'm thinking two layers of Icopal torch safe TA underlay. And then tecnatorch sbs layer. I've been told to felt over the vertical counter battens is this the way to go?

I've been told to felt over the vertical counter battens is this the way to go?

No. Felt the roof as a normal flat roof. Fit minimum 25mm battens running from abutment to eaves at 600 or 450mm centres. Fit breather membrane and slate battens as normal.

Any nails through the flat roof felt self seal by the bitumen. The roofer can apply a sealant of he wants to.

No. Felt the roof as a normal flat roof. Fit minimum 25mm battens running from abutment to eaves at 600 or 450mm centres. Fit breather membrane and slate battens as normal.

Any nails through the flat roof felt self seal by the bitumen. The roofer can apply a sealant of he wants to.

On which layer would you place breathable membrane?

The whole flat roof below a fake tiled roof all seems like a complete bodge to me. Like Freddie, I can't get my head around building a flat roof then whacking a load of fixings through it. Just plain wrong. Plus, the shallow pitch looks alien regarding anything tiles.

Get a flat roof material on it (nowt else) from the outset.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back