low power oven wiring regs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so i've recently moved into a new place and after investigating the electrics i discovered the oven was wired into the ring main for the kitchen.

at first i was shocked it wasn't wired with at least 6mm twin and earth via a double pole breaker to a dedicated mcb.

I discovered modern ovens are generally a lot lower powered and designed to either have a 13 amp plug on it or wired into a 13 amp spur.

Seems my oven is one of these types :

http://www.serviceforce.co.uk/pdfs/U20426.pdf (page 18 )

only thing is it doesn't have a double pole breaker switch at all, let alone within 2m of the oven.

because my oven is designed for a 13 amp circuit does it mean it doesn't need a breaker switch or does it still need one?

I will be greatly appreciative is someone could clarify this for me!

P.S. i'm not interested in getting into the usual 'part p' debate on this thread, i just want to know how my oven should be correctly installed!

Sponsored Links
Single ovens have always been designed to be plugged in / wired to a fused spur on a ring final. Most have interlocks so the grill cannot be used with the oven on - if both were on it wuold oveload a 13 amp fuse.

You should have an isolator switch above the worktop for the oven. But if the oven is plugged into a socket accessible through a cupboard etc, I wouldnt worry (though this isnt best practise). If, however, the oven is just wired to the back of a socket with no fusing, this is dangerous and needs rectifying by adding a fused spur.

Although a portable appliance may be plugged in to a ring main any fixed item over 2Kw (Yours is 2.7Kw) would normally be on their own supply in order to ensure the current carrying capacity of the cable is not exceeded for long periods.
One has to be careful not to say you shouldn't connect to ring main, as there may for example be only the oven and fridge on the ring main.
With TN-C-S supply a double pole isolator may not be required but again normally it would be double pole anyway.
So although one can't say it is wrong 100% it is very likely wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back