low voltage transfomer virgin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

never had need to replace a transformer before so a few basic questions which i help you can help me with.

A light is out i replaced the 50w bulb but still does not work so i assume its the dimmable transformer

the transformers state 20-60 W and i see homebase do a 50w transformer im i ok to use this?

being unqualified can i legally change this?

i dont use a dimmer and a friend of mine tells me thats why the transformer has gone and not the bulb. Im thinking this is rubbish, your view?

my next door neighbour has suuplied a 0 -105w dimmable transformer which he said will do the job. it unused but have no earth connection is this okay?

any assistance would be appreciated

regards

graham

Sponsored Links
The way the quartz halogen tungsten bulb works is to get the envelope (quartz) so hot that when the tungsten leaves the filament it can be deposited on the quartz so it arrives back on the filament running the bulb cool defeats this process as shortens bulb life so dimmers should not be used with quartz lamps.

The transformer is not just a transformer it is an inverter and it converts the 220 to 240 volt to DC then turns it back to AC at high frequency and transforms it down to 12v then samples the output and alters parameters to keep it spot on correct voltage this is why lamps using transformers last longer and are brighter than those working direct from mains.
However because of this process they have both and maximum and a minimum wattage they can work with.

As long as the lamps used fall between the limits then they will work OK.

Bathrooms, Kitchens, and Outdoors have restrictions under Part P but even those locations allow one to change like for like without any notification to the LABC.

Sorry missed if no earth connecting just tape up wire in case needed in future should have a
ClassII.jpg
sign if no earth required.

low voltage transfomer
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:voltage-bands

A light is out i replaced the 50w bulb but still does not work so i assume its the dimmable transformer
That could be an expensive assumption if it turns out that the problem is with the cabling or connections elsewhere.

Really you should check that 230V is getting to the transformer before just assuming it's gone bad. You'll need a multimeter for this. And be careful.

the transformers state 20-60 W and i see homebase do a 50w transformer im i ok to use this?
Yes.

being unqualified can i legally change this?
You may.

Only you know whether you can.

i dont use a dimmer and a friend of mine tells me thats why the transformer has gone and not the bulb. Im thinking this is rubbish, your view?
A polite view of that theory would indeed be "rubbish".

my next door neighbour has suuplied a 0 -105w dimmable transformer which he said will do the job. it unused but have no earth connection is this okay?
Yes. Don't cut the earth wire back in case you need it in the future. Terminate it in a piece of choc-block and tuck it safely out of the way. If there are other earth wires there make sure you connect them all together in the choc.

Sponsored Links
It may be wise to check the SELV lampholder: these often degrade due to the intense heat the lamp gives out, which then rises into the lampholder...

I generally change the lampholders at the same time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back