Lucky to still have a roof on the house

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the appliance plugged in is a heater, I would not recommend plugging it into any sort of extension or multi way adaptor that has anything else plugged in. This is a high current load and should be plugged directly into the socket in it's own where possible.

Sponsored Links
Agreed.

overloadedplug.jpg

although i refurbished it approx 8-9 years ago,with new wiring and sockets.

Garfeild, given that you've already undertaken some electrical work in the loft conversion, why not consider a more permanent solution to the problem?

I'm thinking of a nice wall mounted electric heater with a stat wired into a fused spur. That's much better (safer)than something plugged into a multiway adapator. That's what I'd do if it were me.

I'm sure others here will disagree, but high loads through a conventional socket and plug will cause problems eventually, much better to wire it as a fixed appliance and take the plug and socket out of the equation. NOTE: the 'quality' brands such as MK are better in this regard.

If you don't beleive me, just search on here for tumble dryer or washing machine and see how many charred plug and socket pictures you find.

Just my 2p, hope it helps
-Dan

Sponsored Links
Overheating electrical connections occur in every geographic location, therefore the ops location is highly irrelevant.
And that's always the case, is it?

There's never any difference from one part of the world to another, everything is always the same, and therefore it isn't stupid to pretend to be located somewhere you're not?

:rolleyes:

Garfeild

nl.gif

UK domestic wiring uses our unique and wonderful ring final circuit and fused plug combination.

Our double sockets are different to anything used elsewhere and have particular characteristics which UK residents need to understand and are irrelevant to residents of almost all other countries.

Anything which is not fused, and is plugged into a UK socket, has a particular risk which may not apply in other countries.

So in this case, true location is important and relevant.

On a different tack, time to invest in some linked smoke alarms, as well as improving the wiring.

Overheating electrical connections occur in every geographic location, therefore the ops location is highly irrelevant.
And that's always the case, is it?

There's never any difference from one part of the world to another, everything is always the same, and therefore it isn't stupid to pretend to be located somewhere you're not?

:rolleyes:

Have'nt the foggiest idea what your talking about.

No matter what electrical questions or problems are raised, will the answer be the same no matter which country the petitioner is in - YES OR NO?

Are regulations the same in every country- YES OR NO?

Are the laws the same in every country- YES OR NO?

Are plug and socket types the same in every country- YES OR NO?

Are circuit topologies the same in every country- YES OR NO?

If you answer NO to any of those would you please explain why you don't think it's wrong to misrepresent your location?

No matter what electrical questions or problems are raised, will the answer be the same no matter which country the petitioner is in - YES OR NO?

Sometimes

Some are

Some are

Some are

Some are

If you answer NO to any of those would you please explain why you don't think it's wrong to misrepresent your location?

Thats that then.

See if you can keep up with the following.

This post is about an overheating plug and socket.
Every country uses plugs and sockets.
Every plug and socket can overheat due to a bad connection or an overload.
Therefore the geographical location is irrelevant.

Let's see if you can keep up with this:

Sometimes
Sometimes is not a valid answer. The question was "no matter what electrical questions....". Unless you can show that no matter what the question is the answer will be the same, then you can't validly answer anything except "NO" to the question I asked you.

Some are
Therefore some aren't.

Therefore the only correct answer to "Are regulations the same in every country?" is NO, because they are not the same in every country.

Some are
Therefore some aren't.

Therefore the only correct answer to "Are the laws the same in every country?" is NO, because they are not the same in every country.

Some are
Therefore some aren't.

Therefore the only correct answer to "Are plug and socket types the same in every country?" is NO, because they are not the same in every country.

Some are
Therefore some aren't.

Therefore the only correct answer to "Are circuit topologies the same in every country?" is NO, because they are not the same in every country.

Thats that then.
Only if you ignore the questions asked, and answer different ones and then think for some bizarre reason that you'll be able to pretend that you have answered the ones asked....

This is an Electrics UK forum.

There are very good reasons why it is separate from the non-UK forum.

From a general point of view advice cannot be safely or successfully given in all circumstances with complete disregard to the location - this particular one-off issue is utterly irrelevant to that essential principle, and to lie about which country you are in is not big, is not clever, and is not amusing - it's pathetic and stupid, and possibly dangerous.

Homlslaw, why not be a man for once in your life and just admit you are wrong?

There is absolotely nothing wrong with the above statement.

RF - Be a man and explain what is wrong with my statement, and try sticking to what I've said.

You're just being argumentative for the sake of it, and making yourself look quite silly in the process

Hang on hang on.I didnt want to start an argument here guys (or girls) i merely wanted some advice about what happened the other night,and i feel that has been comprehensively answered.

I should have pointed out that i live in the UK,and my location as Netherlands on the forum is incorrect.Perhaps ill change it back to UK soon,or maybe ill go to the Maldives,i dont know yet.

You're just being argumentative for the sake of it, and making yourself look quite silly in the process

I'm not being argumentative, you could answer my simple question in a few seconds but I think you've realised you can't answer it without demonstrating your own stupidity.

Garfield don't worry about it theres just some very precious people in here who are lacking a bit of nous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back