Luke warm water

Sponsored Links
Arfur mo - you just said the pink pump is working when you put the heating on. Fine. Run it withthe central screw out and shove a 6mm screwdriver in there. It should jiggle it about quite a bit, and you shouldn't be able to stop the turning easily.

If the pumps working then the boiler is in question - does it come on and get itself hot when you put the CH on? Does it switch itself off pretty quick and then stay off for ages? Did you tell us what the boiler is..? If it has a pilot light that would give you a little heat inthe store.

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
just read old posts if the pump is spinning on heating but not h/w
youve got a point chris (blinkers)

Yep, thats whats happening.

Have a feeling you missed my updated post straight after I posted that pic.....?

Should I just bite the bullet and get someone out?

As you have a basic heat store cylinder surprised no one has suggested checking the thermostat on the actual gas boiler is set to maximum as if it isn`t you will never get enough heat into the cylinder to provide either heating or hot water.As both pumps seem to be working correctly and independently depending on wether just HW is called for or both CH and HW it would suggest fault lies with the boiler not giving out out enough heat only other thing it could be is the cylinder stat cutting off way below the actual 65 it is set at.

Theres a tray at the bottom of the boiler. I slid this out and checked the temperature dial on there. This is set to maximum. To confirm this i turned it the other way, then back again and it all started to fire up again.

Right, I have a plumber coming to look at things on Monday. Its me mates Dad, so he's kindly agreed to wave the call out charge :)

Anyway, in the mean time, its f'ing freezing in my house right now :( I have an immersion heater, so wanted to know:

1. If i leave this on will it create enough hot water to heat the radiators? I only have a small house so doest take long to heat it up and can just limit it to my front room and main bedroom.

2. How expensive are these immersion heaters? For instance, if I left the immersion heater on for a couple of hours to generate some hot water for the radiators, then left it running for a few more hours after that, will I get a nasrt shock when I get my electricity bill? Are these things just giant kettles that suck away enough energy to light up a small city?

Cheers,
Gareth (cold)

if you use the immersion heater your elec bill goes up
if you use the boiler your gas bill goes up
shouldnt think it will make a lot of diff for a day or so :D

If all checks out ok , Have heard of heat stores sludging up and not giving proper heat transfer into system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back