Lumber has been exposed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am taking over a construction project. The home has sat for four years unfinished. There is no fascia yet, so the lumber has water stains. There are no signs of rotting or mold, etc. It just has water stains. Is this okay to cover with Fascia or should I treat them, or would it be necessary to replace them.

Also, I heard the rafters sat outside for some time (unknown amount of time). They are "gray colored" and may also have had water exposure. What are your expert opinions about and treatment on these rafters or is it normal enough to ignore?

Thanks so much!
Craig

Sponsored Links
The grey colour is just caused by UV light and rain bleaching the surface fibres, and is itself nothing to worry about.

If there is no sign of rot, then you won't need to treat.

What he said, although if the timber is/was not pressure treated originally I'd slap on some wood preserver for peace of mind.
It probably is though, I'd assume it would be standard practice to use treated timber in construction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back