LVT window sill front trim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have very deep window sills in the bathroom, (450mm deep) and I want to put LVT golden oak on them. The walls and reveals are painted, and there is no bullnose or overhang at all. So it's just the depth of the lvt on the front flush edge that will need disguising. Unless I cut a 25mm strip and fix it too the facing wall to make it look like a board. But I'd still need a quadrant or something.

What can you suggest that would make a neat edge please? I can't think of a neat trim. Can you? Not anything shiny chrome if poss.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Not that I would personally consider using LVT for a window sill, but each to their own! ;)

You could use some solid oak quadrant on the corner. Something like:

https://www.loveskirting.co.uk/bead...c297/solid-oak-quadrant-beading-6mm-x-6mm-p76

What is the thickness of your LVT?

I have made myself some solid oak window sills and I love them.
There are suppliers that will make a 450mm deep cill in oak (jointed), but they are pricey! :confused:

Example here:
https://skirtingboardsdirect.com/products/450mm-x25mm-oak-windowsill/

Good luck :)

Thank you for those ideas. Even if I don't to that exactly, you've now opened up a different angle in my head. That's why I love getting other people's opinions. Thanks for answering.

I have made some oak window boards for the kitchen from floor boards.
20210326_105645.jpg
They look lovely. Oiled with Tung oil. (Quick drying)

The reason for using the LVT in the bathroom, the same as the floor, is because one window sill is 400mm wide and often has the window open, so gets rain on it. And the other window sill is 5ft high so actually I can never see the top surface properly, just a sheen reflection.

Seeing your idea of solid wood has made me think about putting a flat oak threshold across the front. Maybe 30mm to mimic a shelf edge. (The LVT is approx 6mm btw.)
But looking online they all seem to have £16+ ish delivery charge and I can't find anywhere local to Flintshire so far.

Whatever I do it will be better than the tiled 1980's window sills that are there now that have no trim at all. Just the unglazed brown tile edge! o_O

Looking on these websites has also made me wonder about another idea....

I've got a closed back toilet straight onto a painted wall with no skirting, because I don't want the step next to the WC pan. I wonder if I could apply 150mm of 2.5mm oak veneer along the bottom of the wall to protect the paint work from the mop and vacuum.

I can't see why not. Can you?

Sponsored Links
That window sill looks beautiful! (y)
One of the sills I made was for the bathroom. I didn't oil it, but used a good quality polyurethane varnish. It has been in 5 years so far, without suffering ill effects.

You could also use an oak veneer, or laminate for your sill, but be careful of the substrate - MDF wouldn't last very long!

Stripwood for the edge would also work - it's amazing what you can find on Amazon :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solid-Pre-Finished-lacquered-Threshold-Moulding/dp/B00I4QB7JA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back