Mad roundabout in Swindon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
swindon.jpg

:eek:

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes: :LOL:

There used to be a 'roundabout' setup like this ih Hemel H'stead too.
All good fun.

Ed

Its official name, as shown on the roadside signposts is, "Magic Roundabout". As you can see, you can legally go around it in an anti-clockwise direction.....

Sponsored Links
The Magic Roundabout achieves its aim, which is to slow traffic considerably. It's been there since about 1978, has never had a fatal accident on it, the majority of crashes are minor shunts, usually involving a driver who is unsure of the system of 5 roundabouts around a central one. (Which included my wife when she was learning to drive!)

Top right is the County Ground, bottom right is St Josephs school and lower left is the main fire station. Busy area - the planners have never found a better way of dealing with the traffic.

It works very well, provided you know where you want to go :LOL:

GE can be a useful orientation / planning guide...
Another Swindon rotator - Google Earth Lat 51.568 Lon -1.802

Clockwise outer ring.
Satellite connector (proper) roundabouts.
Anti-clockwise inner ring.

Straighten the circular roads and you are driving on the left - correctly - inner or outer ring.

swindonmr-2747.jpg

:D

I seem to remember the trick is to follow the car in front!

If he is wrong then he has the accident and you stop!

There is a smaller version in High Wycombe and an even smaller one somewhere like Hatfield or at least somewhere north of Watford.

Tony

The real trick is to drive as if you know exactly where you're going., Everyone else will sense your 'confidence' and let you through as they stumble around waiting for someone to take the lead.

Be brave and fearless ;)

Cheers

Richard

I seem to remember the trick is to follow the car in front!

If he is wrong then he has the accident and you stop!

There is a smaller version in High Wycombe and an even smaller one somewhere like Hatfield or at least somewhere north of Watford.

Tony

Where's that then, I've lived around there for 30 years?

The Magic Roundabout achieves its aim, which is to slow traffic considerably. It's been there since about 1978, has never had a fatal accident on it, the majority of crashes are minor shunts, usually involving a driver who is unsure of the system of 5 roundabouts around a central one. (Which included my wife when she was learning to drive!)

6 actually.

OK Hemel rather than Hatfield then!

I knew it was somewhere north of Watford!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back