made a mess of electrics...urgently need help :(

EDIT: before reading the below, we need to know how that ceiling rose is wired. It doesn't look right. :confused:

Where was the link? And that switch wouldn't have worked wired like that (I think) anyway, even with the link.

What you have there is ONE live feed. This is likely to be one of the reds.

One of the blacks (with the red wire above) is the switched live feed to your kitchen light.

These 2 need to be connected to your new switch, in Com and L1, either way around.

The other red and black pair to the other switch - connect ONE of these to the permenant live feed in the switch. The other wire, terminate in a piece of spare terminal block.

This SHOULD work. You cant really go wrong anyway, when you've found the permenant live wire.

hi,the four wires in the switch were not wired like that,i just put them one in each hole to keep them safe (hopefully) :)
I cant remember where the other "link" wire went.
I will have another go with your advice in the morning regarding the kitchen light...still not sure what to do about the ceiling rose though.what do you all think?thanks,kez..x

Sponsored Links
hi,the four wires in the switch were not wired like that,i just put them one in each hole to keep them safe (hopefully) :)
Does either light work like this? Turn on the power, and test both switches, tell us which switch does what (one switch wont do anything, one will power the kitchen light i bet) ;)

In the rose, earth goes to that terminal on its own.

the grey wire is the switched live from your dining room switch, this goes in the left bank of terminals. The red goes in the middle bank. The black goes in the right hand side (though you can swap the grey and black). Your light fitting connects to the left and right banks of terminals (grey and black).

Sponsored Links
:eek: :eek: :eek: Before you do anything else, PLEASE get that grey sleeved red wire out of the block with the black wire in it. You have a live to neutral short in there waiting to happen! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm puzzled by the four wires. The green sleeved wire - which should be green/yellow sleeved - is your earth and it goes in the terminal on its own, just like Steve says. Put the other three in separate blocks. Black is almost certainly neutral so one of the others will be switched live - but which one? :confused: :confused: :confused: And why is the other one there at all? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

All I can suggest is this:

1) Make ABSOLUTELY sure that there are no more wires lurking up there out of sight. Do this BEFORE you reconnect any wires at the switches! :!: :!: :!:

2) IF, and ONLY IF, there are no more wires, connect the lamp between black and each of the others. One of three things will happen when you restore power: it will be always on or always off or respond to the switch.

I'll be watching --- :) :) :)

are there two ceiling roses controlled by the same switch?

Ok,followed all of the instructions you guys gave me....and...it all works :)
In fact,the hardest bit was trying to get the damn light switch back on the wall afterwards (couldn`t locate the holes for the screws to go in :)
A BIG shout out for JOHND,STEVE AND SPACECAT!!!!Would never have been able to do this without your help.
Think I will start tackling other electrics..such as the fuse box etc...(just kidding,next time I will get a professional in to do anything electrical,just wanted to get myself out of the mess I put myself in).
Anyway,again,thank you all for the input and the happy end to this d.i.y.mess.
best wishes and good health to you all,
kez....xxx <-----1 for johnd,1 for steve and 1 for spacecat

Sorry to jump in on your thread but I am currently doing the 2330 course and I find problems like good practice. But...

That picture of the ceiling rose.
I dont quite get it
You should have two phase two neutral and two cpc .I would have thought

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff190/k3zza_2007/ceilingrose2.jpg

If the red and black cable are live and switch live then you only have a live feed coming in. Can anybody explain

I guess the feed is going to the switch??

Cheers

Greene King said:
I dont quite get it

I didn't get it either. :confused: :confused: :confused: There's one wire too many up there or else too few. That's why I asked k3z to make absolutely sure that there were no more.

I also don't know which two of the three possible wires made the light work. If it was mine I'd make a point of solving that little mystery. Every wire has two ends and I'm not happy until I've found both of them!

PS: Is it possible for the mods to split this off into a new post? :)

Hi,I cant solve the mystery for you,but can confirm that there was definately no more wiring up there and I wired it up as Steve said below.kez..x

In the rose, earth goes to that terminal on its own.

the grey wire is the switched live from your dining room switch, this goes in the left bank of terminals. The red goes in the middle bank. The black goes in the right hand side (though you can swap the grey and black). Your light fitting connects to the left and right banks of terminals (grey and black).

Greene King said:
I dont quite get it

I didn't get it either. :confused: :confused: :confused: There's one wire too many up there or else too few. That's why I asked k3z to make absolutely sure that there were no more.

I also don't know which two of the three possible wires made the light work. If it was mine I'd make a point of solving that little mystery. Every wire has two ends and I'm not happy until I've found both of them!
GUYS! The single red (grey sleeve) is the switched live. This is a single. It comes from the second switch COM. The permenant live gets to the first switch COM via the link wire in the first switch.

The light needs a neutral and earth, so someones stuck a T+E in there too, obviously creating an unnessecary live. This is your one core too many!

GUYS! The single red (grey sleeve) is the switched live. This is a single. It comes from the second switch COM. The permenant live gets to the first switch COM via the link wire in the first switch.

Nice one Sherlock. I missed that. :oops: The second switch never had a live feed of its own so that would be the logical place to find the other end of a single red.

The light needs a neutral and earth, so someones stuck a T+E in there too, obviously creating an unnessecary live. This is your one core too many!

And that conclusion follows naturally from the first. :cool: :cool: :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back