Made a mistake - honest opinions (rebuild or push on!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I suppose it was going to happen at some point!

I've messed up in my setting out of my extension - long story short is that I've been measuring from some bricks that are offset to provide a key for render, as opposed to the "real" corner of the house.

From going out and measuring my "real life" built up corners (as opposed to setting out markers), it looks like one corner is spot on (+/- less than 5mm where it should be) and the other corner is out 16mm. Which stacks up as that's about how far out the sticky out bricks are!

So, being honest - the wall length is 3m dead on, is running out 16mm acceptable or crap? What tolerances would be acceptable?

I can feasibly knock down the two corners (inner too) but they did take a me a very long time to build up and I may well cry.

Sponsored Links
I've seen many rendered building bent as a dogs back leg!
its you that's going to live with it.

I’d say crack on, you can lose that on the inner skin when plasterboarding, and I can’t see it being noticeable on the outer.
As per catlad there are probably walls going up every day outside of that tolerance. Don’t cry.

That makes me feel better, especially as I can't quite work out which corner is wrong now I'm sat down with the measurements inside. Either way, it's out at most about 16mm.

And of course, I doubt the wall is straight - or certainly nothing is inside this house!

I just don't want it to look crap at the end!

Sponsored Links
I regularly put my 1.2 m long level vertically on to a pebble dashed or roughcast wall only to find that the external finish whatever it is, is indeed all over the place, at times I am lucky if the level touches three points of the pebble dash, or such with gaps of up to 5.mm in the "low spots"

Makes trying to find out if a wall is off plumb because of a foundation subsidence issue a problem to get a handle on ??

Get a box of tissues.

Knock the outside down and do it properly. Leave the inside leaf, blend it in from the other corner and let the plasterer sort it out.

I doubt the problems that the out squareness issue will create more additional work than re building, so Id leave it alone.

Either that or get Woody around to give you a hand :ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back