Magnaclean leaking - coming through ceiling - help!

Sponsored Links
Where can you get a Spirotech from? I've tried the websites of all local plumbing suppliers (like Plumb center) and nowhere seems to stock them.

Closest I can find is a Sentinel.

Where can you get a Spirotech from? I've tried the websites of all local plumbing suppliers (like Plumb center) and nowhere seems to stock them.

The Fernox TF1 is a good magnetic filter. Plenty on Ebay for around £70 delivered if you can wait a few days. Otherwise try plumbers merchants or online suppliers.

http://www.fernox.com/equipment/filters/total+filter+tf1[/QUOTE]

& there isn't any problem with those leaking is there :LOL:

Sponsored Links
He has just been and tightened up the connections to that part of the Magnaclean. Apparently there was quite a bit of play on both connections. Where it is, is in a loft void above the utility. Therefore it gets really cold. He wonders whether the cold got to it, shrunk the joints/iced up a little bit, and then when the heat came on for the water in the morning it leaked by until the joints had expanded to make the seal.

If it still leaks, he's coming back to replace the valve. Got to wait 3 hours now for everything to get really cold before I turn it on and check!

No, he didn't isolate it. Just tightened up the connections...I'm actually quite worried about turning the isolation valves and causing a leak there. I know that's defeating the point but... :D

sooner or later you've got to.

Have you got the spanner?

Yeah, I've got the spanner. I've just heard so many horror stories over the past 24 hours.

Athough he's said this morning that he's never had one leak from the valves. He has from the main o-ring in the lid (two or three out of about 30) but never from the valves or anywhere else, not with the newer black valves. The red ones were different.

I was going to suggest they you could check the connections are tight yourself!

They are plastic threads so cannot be overtightened or it will strip the threads. If the washers are in good condition not much pressure is needed anyway. The thread is moulded and not cut and are easy to cross thread !

The whole idea of a mag filter is to trap magnetic dirt. Yours has been fitted for 13 Months but never cleaned!

I also advise cleaning a week after fitting! Depending on the amount of dirt then after a month or perhaps two or three.

But NEVER fit and dont ever look at it !

Tony

Now paranoid that he's overtightened them. He said there was quite a bit of movement in both connections.

I'll let it all cool down and see if it leaks, and then run it for a few days to make sure that no leaks occur. If not I'll turn the isolation valves off and clean it this weekend.

And pray to Mecca afterwards.

Are the black ones less prone to leakage than the red then?

The latest Magnaclean is way better than the original and comes with spare "O" rings.

I would have no hesitation about closing the black valves.

As far as I can see the latest is well made and not likely to give a problem when correctly fitted. I would have no problem fitting one although might choose another of the models on the market. None are perfect in my view!

Its such a pity that Chris Adey started with such a poor quality manufacture and got such a bad reputation when they leaked or split !

Tony

Thanks Tony

I do have the latest one then, as I have the spare rings. You've given me a bit more confidence! :D

The Fernox TF1 is a good magnetic filter. Plenty on Ebay for around £70 delivered if you can wait a few days. Otherwise try plumbers merchants or online suppliers.

http://www.fernox.com/equipment/filters/total+filter+tf1[/QUOTE]

& there isn't any problem with those leaking is there :LOL:

No problems so far - unlike Magnacleans.

If others get problems, perhaps it's installer related. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back