Magnaclean - problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I may have dreamt this, but I thought I read somewhere that there was a problem with magnacleans releasing large chunks of sediment, which go on to block the plate exchanger etc.
I can't seem to find the thread now that I need it!

The reason I ask, is that I have been to an ecotec 831 that had lots of pieces of sediment behind the pressure sensor & filter, the aav and the pump. The boiler was installed 2.5 years by someone else, so I can only assume the system was flushed. When draining the boiler, the water looked ok. There is a magnaclean fitted - I cleaned it out but there wasn't really anything to clean.

Anyway, the boilers up and running but it just made my wonder about the magnaclean.

Sponsored Links
hey grayham,i read a post by pilch69 on the 14 may with simular findings to wot you have, perhaps take a look eh ? i've been led to believe the gas board have stopped using these due to the same prob and are now using summut else ,how true that is i dont really know. try throwing the Q out there to some of the gas board fellas may be ? :)

Magnaclean will only collect magnetic debris. Were these flakes magnetic? Ive never known issues with the magnaclean causing blocked plates.

Bg are no longer using the magnaclean due to, mostly, the high number of insurance claims that they received due to the numerous water leaks these filters like to produce.

Did the vaillant have the rubber hoses on it? These will build up dirt and then it flakes off.

Sponsored Links
We've been selling the Magnaclean Professional for some years now. No complaints or claims.

The Fernox TF1 filters out magnetic and non-magnetic debris, allegedly. We sell them too, but the Magnaclean out-sells it around 3 to 1.

Unfortunately we are fitting magnaboosters. Yes they are easier to fit and clean, but they don't do anywhere near as good a job as the magnaclean.

Unfortunately we are fitting magnaboosters. Yes they are easier to fit and clean, but they don't do anywhere near as good a job as the magnaclean.

Did you actually like the magnaleaks? :eek:

**** to fit, Every bit leaks, they fall apart, arent pressure tested over 2 bar so not suitable for sealed systems and they are a PITA to clean, ive lost count of the number of lids that have seized on or wont go back on after cleaning.

True, true, but they did hold a lot of s**t! Every Magnabooster I clean you get a spitful of dirt out, you might as well take the pump out and give it a shake!

We've been selling the Magnaclean Professional for some years now. No complaints or claims.
I can only assume your customers can't be bothereed to complain, or your complaints handling process does not record them.

Apologies, shouldn't trust the memory at my age.

In 3 years we've sold over 1100. There have been 4 returned as faulty.

Adey supplied us with new lid orings and a service kit a couple of years back as the old ones were faulty and did result in spontaneously leaking. But since these have been fitted I have not been to a leaking unit in some time. Maybe you didn't have any returned as they were out of warranty.....they usually did last a few years before they started leaking. I would still have a Magnaclean over a Magnabooster in my house though.

If Adey built motor cars we would be riding bicycles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back