Magnaclean Professional and Magnaclean Twintech

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Given the positive comments in this forum I am designing provision for one of these in a new first fix install I'm doing at the moment in my own premises.

The straight professional model seems the most often available but my question is whether anyone has experience of the Twin Tech model and is there merit in fitting this one instead.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
no point sticking a magnaclean in a brand new system. if it is designed properly, installed properly and maintained properly, you won't get any corrosion.

Don't know what you mean by "straight", but the clear disadvantage of the older model is that is traps only paramagnetic deposits.

Sponsored Links
Don't know what you mean by "straight", but the clear disadvantage of the older model is that is traps only paramagnetic deposits.

You mean that it really traps paramagnetic materials like aluminium or brass?

Any Magnaclean can be made to trap magnetic and any other materials in suspension by the use of a gauze filter washer on the outlet.

I am very surprised that Chris does not supply them with that totally necessary feature which is available for 19p plus VAT from BES and most washing machine shops.

Tony

Please excuse my ignorance but would a gauze washer trapping non magnetic debris not impede the flow through the device or is there very little non magneitc debris to be trapped in most systems.

Regarding the comment

no point sticking a magnaclean in a brand new system. if it is designed properly, installed properly and maintained properly, you won't get any corrosion.

Does this mean all systems that need one of these devices retrofitted have not been designed installed or maintained properly and what it the most likely shortcoming - maintenance?

Do the other pros think they're unnecessary in a new system as I'm not committed yet.

In a clean system then what is there to be trapped in a filter?

The gauze filter does give a little extra flow resistance but a lot less than a blockage caused by system debris.

Welcome to the Vet !

Tony

I clean new and oild systems so there is no need to fit a filter.

I do fit them for people who have had a little problem on a system which has been questionably power flushed as they mop up the left behinds.

Tony

Scottish gas are fitting them as standard, or supply and fit for about £200.yes they are good because powerflushing is not all it is cracked up to be .When installing a new boiler into an old systemyou should flush it but if you chemical flush only the old system,and empty hot ,when refilling connect to the magnaclean, works wonders , gas board guys swear by them ,regards BILL

You mean that it really traps paramagnetic materials like aluminium or brass?
Do I?

Any Magnaclean can be made to trap magnetic and any other materials in suspension by the use of a gauze filter washer on the outlet.
Only if you're a raving lunatic in a check shirt.

I’m a materials engineer rather than a heating engineer but having read the MagnaClean manufacturers specification I’d be very concerned about using it because they describe the magnet material as ‘316 stainless steel’. This is in fact a basic austenitic grade of stainless which is non-magnetic and couldn’t possibly be used as a magnet !

Has no forum member previously queried this with the manufacturer?

The alternative Fernox Boiler Buddy literature provides little technical info but it at least identifies the magnet material as Magnom which has very powerful magnetic properties and therefore represents a feasible design.

BTW, I haven’t used either of these filters and have no axe to grind.

well it feels pretty damn magnetic. perhaps you should use one before commenting :confused: :)

I’d be very concerned about using it because they describe the magnet material as ‘316 stainless steel’. This is in fact a basic austenitic grade of stainless which is non-magnetic and couldn’t possibly be used as a magnet !
So, if you're right, it doesn't contain any magnet at all, no Magnetite ever sticks to it, and its tendency to violently whack itself onto anything ferrous in its vicinity is merely a figment of my imagination. :rolleyes:

Has no forum member previously queried this with the manufacturer?
No, because when we want to see how it feels to be guffawed at it's much quicker just to drop our trousers.

The alternative Fernox Boiler Buddy literature provides little technical info but it at least identifies the magnet material as Magnom which has very powerful magnetic properties and therefore represents a feasible design.
Feasibility schmeasibility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back