Magnaclean Professional and Magnaclean Twintech

Softus,

Read my message again – carefully. The manufacturer’s specification states an inherently non-magnetic material is the magnet in this device. In fact any magnet it contains certainly cannot be 316 st.st.

Nobody with any intelligence is going to guffaw at you for realising this and querying the manufacturer!

Conversely, blind belief in an incredible specification is rather amusing.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all the positings and in the hope of extinguishing the hijack by Mr Pilchard.

If you've not seen one of these devices Mr Pilchard, I have one on my desk that I'm going to retrofit into one of my home heating circuits. I can assure you that it has a powerful magnet and will grab the little spanner in the kit from a couple of cm off the desk and hold it most firmly. Its constituent elements are of limited interest.

Back to the question if possible - should I fit one in my new system or not?

Sponsored Links
don't worry, let pilchard fit a boiler buddy, as long as I can see him trying to remove it for cleaning after 5+ years. rubbish design.
Why would anyone question the manufacturer about the magnet?
They work, tried and tested, I don't really care if its made of gold, plastic or mud. As long as it does the job

i fit one on new installs and all boiler changes dont even give the customer a choice just put it in the price, more effective than powerflushing over time in my opinion.

Read my message again – carefully.
I can't conceive of a less appealing proposition, other than something involving sharp blades and my unmentionables.

The manufacturer’s specification states an inherently non-magnetic material is the magnet in this device. In fact any magnet it contains certainly cannot be 316 st.st.
That's nice dear.

Nobody with any intelligence is going to guffaw at you for realising this and querying the manufacturer!
Do you know how likely it is that I'm going to call the manufacturer and ask them to explain why their magnet doesn't contain a magnet?

If you don't know the answer, then I can tell you that it's a lot less likely than me waking up in the morning to find Bobby Ewing in my shower and the realisation that the world recession was just a bad dream.

Conversely, blind belief in an incredible specification is rather amusing.
The only thing I've been blindly believing, so far, is that you're for real.

Agile said:
I clean new and oild systems so there is no need to fit a filter.
Fernox claim one can remove "up to 80%" of the undesirables in a system. They obviously haven't heard about our Tony.

Scottish gas are fitting them as standard, or supply and fit for about £200.yes they are good because powerflushing is not all it is cracked up to be .When installing a new boiler into an old systemyou should flush it but if you chemical flush only the old system,and empty hot ,when refilling connect to the magnaclean, works wonders , gas board guys swear by them ,regards BILL

£200!? A 22mm Magnaclean is only £90, are they seriously charging £110 for what most of the time is an hour's work, if that? If I could get away with charging that much I'd be doing it every day and I'd be a rich man.

As for powerflushing not being all it's cracked up to be, how so? And how is a magnaclean any better?

Got a question about this product that I had fitted in May? Do you professionals bleed it after you clean it out?

The reason I ask is that I had to bleed a radiator a few days ago and was wondering where the air had come from as the system has inhibitors applied when the boiler was replaced in May. I have cleaned out the magnaclean around 3 times since it was installed although the last time it didn't needed doing.

Also something I can’t get my head around is that in the blurb that comes with the product it states that if you use the magnaclean as an entry point into the system for chemical dosing then by using a standard radiator key I should remove the Pro-Fill air vent which is a one –way valve which will prevent water from escaping. Is this not the same valve that lets you bleed the system?

I’m a materials engineer rather than a heating engineer but having read the MagnaClean manufacturers specification I’d be very concerned about using it because they describe the magnet material as ‘316 stainless steel’. This is in fact a basic austenitic grade of stainless which is non-magnetic and couldn’t possibly be used as a magnet !
Unfortunately the Technical Description only tells half the story!

If you read the patent for the Magnaclean, it makes clear that the stainless steel cylinder is only the housing for a number of cylindrical magnets.

See http://v3.espacenet.com/publication...C=A&FT=D&date=20041222&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_GB

Softus said:
but the clear disadvantage of the older model is that is traps only paramagnetic deposits.
Yes that would be a disavantage. It wouldn't do anything, though it would be a marvel of physics.

Ltnman said:
Is this not the same valve that lets you bleed the system?
altered their drawing - does this help?
Red area can be closed by ball or screw or neither.

29558979rh5.gif

I’m a materials engineer rather than a heating engineer but having read the MagnaClean manufacturers specification I’d be very concerned about using it because they describe the magnet material as ‘316 stainless steel’. This is in fact a basic austenitic grade of stainless which is non-magnetic and couldn’t possibly be used as a magnet !

The Magnaclean has a "very" powerful magnet inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back