Main Eco Compact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some help good folks.

Preparing for winter and getting air out of he rads but i cant seem to refill the combi boiler, there are 2 blue levers, the right hand side is working fine but the left hand side one is stuck on close and wont budge.

Whats the best way to force it open?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Check you're trying to turn it the right way. Is there a nice chunky bit of brass coming up from the valve into the lever? If yes then put an adjustable spanner on the brass and gently apply force. Bit of wd40 wouldn't hurt

As already advised remove the plastic handle and use an adjustable spanner, the plastic handles tend to stretch and split

newish boiler so valve is newish as well just use a pair of pliers on it it will move easily enough the left hand one of the two always go stiff after you have freed it just leave it open and use the right hand one which never seems to seize up.

Sponsored Links
Could have done what you guys suggested but booked with Baxi and i'll let them deal and advise.

Does it not depend on age? I’d expect it to last, as in satisfactory quality.

As others have said its a newish boiler and on these the quality is pretty decent. The lever can be slightly stiff but a pair of pliers will easily get it to move.

Well if it's a case of lever being a bit stiff I'm sure that's a chargeable call.

Hope not, anyway i'm not gonna pay as ive never used that lever, their engineer came in to replace a part in Feb 2021 and used it last, its proper stiff and wont budge and i dont want to damage it with pliers/hammers etc. It should easily open up like the lever on the right for your average user and its still under warranty.

Last edited:
Hope not, anyway i'm not gonna pay as ive never used that lever, their engineer came in to replace a part in Feb 2021 and used it last, its proper stiff and wont budge and i dont want to damage it with pliers/hammers etc. It should easily open up like the lever on the right for your average user and its still under warranty.

Well let us know what happens (y)

UPDATE:

Baxi chap turned up at 12pm, he spent 5 mins dealing with it and showed me his preferred way of opening, all sorted.

Place hands on top brass pipes, apply thumb bottom of blue lever and push, it will go inwards.

Weird cos it was jammed.

No charge whatsoever......yet.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back