Mains op heat detector advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Please be kind as I'm not very good as this kinda thing! :oops:

I have just been told by B.C.O that I need to get a mains op heat detector installed in my kitchen before he'll sign off my completion cert following an extension.

He says that it must be wired into the mains but doesn't need linking to the smoke alarms. It can go into a lighting circuit apparently.

I just wonder if any of you can advise of the cheapest one around (money a bit tight) and where to buy from? I've looked at Screwfix and the DIY sheds but they only do battery ones it seems.

Also, how easy is it to wire up? Not that I'll be doing it, but I'm just curious in case half my ceiling is gonna be coming down in order to be connected!!!

Thanks for any help or advice. :)

Sponsored Links
Screwfix do a heat alarm for about £25. Otherwise try CEF, Kew, TLC etc.

Not sure why the BCO wants one fitted, but not interlinked. Do you already have interlinkable smoke alarms?

You can buy cheaper ones which are mains powered but have no battery back-up. I would avoid these!

In my opinion. you should wire your new heat alarm to your existing smoke alarms if it is possible. If you can't do this, then you need to find the nearest permanently live lighting point (ceiling rose maybe) and run cable from there.

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the useful replies.

Yes I do already have interlinked smokes, on the hallway and landing and the reason he doesn't need the heat detector linking too is all to do with the location of the kitchen in relation to the mains smokes.

Basically, there is a new playroom off the kitchen (with the only doorway being off the kitchen too) and this is where the 'red flag' was raised about the heat detector. Although there is a fully opening window in that room, apparently that is a last resort thing and the heat detector needs installing so that anyone in the playroom has the chance to exit the actual room in an emergency rather than just via the window.

Sounds a bit complicated and he himself had to go back and get a second opinion to clarify whether or not one was needed.

The lounge separates the kitchen from the stairs so that is apparently why I DON'T need to have it linked to the smokes :confused:

I've actually seen one on Amazon for £9 with a battery back up too - but as you say, safety is the key here, so I'll still have a scout about for others.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Buy a decent unit- they can be a life saver.
Any recommendations?

Kidde?

Aico?

Looking for mains powered BBU interlinked (are wireless any good?), with different types available (optical/ionisation/heat) so the most appropriate type can be used in each location.

Price not really an issue.

If it is just as easy to run a cable to your last smoke detector as it is to take it from a lighting circuit, then I would do that. At least you will know from upstairs that your kitchen is on fire. You simply use 3-core and earth cable. Although as BC don't require it and you already have a downstairs smoke alarm, you could argue that you are already adequately protected in that respect.

I usually use AICO Easi-fit smoke and heat alarms as they look quite smart and are easy to fit. I've fitted 1000s. Only a couple have ever failed (due to the hush button sticking - easily fixed) and the only other problem that arises is they are sometimes provided with flat alkaline batteries.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250284598377

Otherwise, if you're happy with them, get the same make you already have.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Not fitted any wireless ones, I use Kidde and since they need power it no harder to run a 3C+e between the units.

Wireless could allow the smoke / heat units to come off different circuits which I don't like, because you could have a 1 off, 1or 2 on situation.

It also adds an element of 'issue' with 17th ed and providing an RCBO rather than on the RCD rail for the detectors.

Not sure how much of an issue the RCD/RCBO one is - if an RCD trips while you're there you'll probably reset it, and if you're asleep the batteries in the detectors will keep them going for long enough.

But if push came to shove I'd rather contravene the 17th RCD provisions than compromise my fire safety.

I don't see a problem with smoke detectors on RCDs as long as they have battery back-up. The Aico ones will beep annoyingly if a) the power is down and b) the battery is low. I would rather not compromise the installation's earth fault protection any more than the fire protection. The problem with battery back-up though is, many people will rather disconnect an alarm than go out and spend a few quid on an alkaline battery. You see it all the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back