mains or low voltage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive just gone to buy some recessed downlighters for my bathroom and ive got the choice of mains or low-voltage.

which should i choose and why? they are the same price.

i'll be paying an electrician to fit them and they wont be going within the shower unit.

thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends what zone they will be in as to wether or not you need to use SELV lighting. Better off asking the electrician what he is happy installing.

ive just gone to buy some recessed downlighters for my bathroom
Well dont. More trouble than they are worth, and drink electric.

If you really must, then choose mains voltage because then you will have the opportunity to fit energy saving bulbs in them in future.

Ask your electrician how he intends to comply with all parts of the building regs when fitting them.

Moisture ingress to a loft space
Fire prevention
part p
amongst others.

Read my comments in the earlier thread regarding the installation in regards to their location ;

..with regards to the choice ..230v. or 12 v. ..... 12v are generally regarded as giving off a better light.

Their IP rating requires consideration in respect of the Zones.

Their voltage requires consideration in respect of wether or not your lighting circuit has RCD protection

Cast downlights are preferable as opposed to cheaper pressed steel types which will eventually pit and rust

...Contact your Electrician before buying as he will be reponsible for certifying the job.

Sponsored Links
12v are generally regarded as giving off a better light.
Its going in someones lav, does it really matter?

Steve , I do a lot of Bathroom and Kitchen Electrics ,and the biggest problem I come across in existing installations is the customers dissapointment in the quality & levels of light output from their downlights..............so the answer to your question is yes .

...Just trying to answer the question put forward by the o.p.

Steve , I do a lot of Bathroom and Kitchen Electrics ,and the biggest problem I come across in existing installations is the customers dissapointment in the quality & levels of light output from their downlights
So tell them from the outset, "you'll regret it", and let them change their mind before they pepper their ceiling with these useless creations.

ive just gone to buy some recessed downlighters for my bathroom and ive got the choice of mains or low-voltage.

The IEC definitions of voltage bands are:
  • Extra Low Voltage: AC below 50V and DC below 120V
  • Low Voltage: 50 - 1000V AC or 120 - 1500V DC
  • Medium voltage: 1kV - 35kV
  • High voltage: 35kV - 230kV
  • Extra-high voltage: >230kV
This is not some pedantic technical point like "it's not a bulb it's a lamp" - if you start getting involved in doing your own electrical work, and start learning about regulations etc you'll come across references to "Low voltage", and it'll be no good you thinking that that means 12V...

Steve , I do a lot of Bathroom and Kitchen Electrics ,and the biggest problem I come across in existing installations is the customers dissapointment in the quality & levels of light output from their downlights
So tell them from the outset, "you'll regret it", and let them change their mind before they pepper their ceiling with these useless creations.

Personally, I've always found ELV downlights to be quite reasonable in terms of light output. It's their mains counterparts that give this type of lighting in general a bad name.

Steve wrote :

Steve, if you read my post more carefully you will see I was commenting on Existing installations [prior to commencement of my new additrional work .....Properly designed and installed They Dont Regret it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back