Mains voltager halogen lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy

Just came across these and wondered what the good people here thought of them :D

On the surface it seems easier, cheaper and less to go wrong than halogens with transformers. Is there a major trade-off of some description :?:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello,
Personally, I try and talk customers out of downlighting.

I only use low voltage in bathrooms if the customer specifies them, in other rooms I use mains voltage types. as you say, less to go wrong.

To be honest I think they are more hassle than they are worth to install unless the location is suitable, (loftspace above bedrooms etc where there is accessability and room to connect , install firehoods properly and where the heat can dissipate properly).

When the short lamp life plays it's hand,the customer often fails to buy, or is sold the incorrect lamp which can lead to all sort's of problems, lampholders 'burning out' etc.

All the best.

Here I was spouting off about downlighting in general , and then today a new customer is adamant on having eight downlighters in his 'to be' newly vaulted ceiling.
I have the depth of the rafter plus 2" to fit them, even with reflector lamps I am worried about the roof felt dripping through the light fitting on his new axminster !
Or maybe the firehoods will be the first to 'give' and melt ?

It's a no no. Isn't it ??????????

Any advice welcome please.

I talked a customer out of them in almost the exact same circumstances in a kitchen with a lean-to roof/ceiling. In the end I got them to have under cabinet lights and two single surface spots put in inconspicuous locations....

Sponsored Links
Also got to talk another customer out of having them in a wooden tongue and groove cladded ceiling..if it aint one thing it's another.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I prefer to use the downlights with the integrated fire container (Flameguard, etc). I've had 3 sites a couple of years ago when i had to retro-fit witches hats because the BCO insisted they were needed.

I went back to one of the sites recently. The built up heat under the hoods had buckled about 30% of the fittings - happily the customer had supplied their own fittings so not my headache. :)

TTC

Taylortwocities said:
I've had 3 sites a couple of years ago when i had to retro-fit witches hats because the BCO insisted they were needed.
And were they needed, or was it a case of BCO making up the rules as they go along?

My local 'building control operative' tells me " to stop the passage of fire" , he wants firehoods fitted in this instance.

Have you ever asked him which Building Regulation requires this?

Or whether the ceiling in question needs to have a particular fire rating anyway?

Or what tests he is aware of that show how much downlighters reduce the fire rating of a ceiling?

Hello Ban,
To be honest I have not spoken directly to the BCO about this. I do intend to though as I need to understand the rules and reg's that apply to different circumstances. Part M , Part P, or is down to how much common sense the individual 'officer' ? ( I know, I should know already ! )

Eg; In the past he has asked me fit the back ('knockout') boxes any electrical switches/sockets etc on 'party' walls onto a woodern plinth so as to stop the travel of sound through to next door, then on other job's he doesn't. He seems a bit vague when we go into why his rules change so much from job to job, and you are lucky to catch him before it's second fixed !

As for downlighters, I always stick to the rule of 'install , so long fitting's etc are suitable and safe for the purpose of use'

Can't go wrong with that, can I ?

Ta.

B.A.S. the sites referred to were where the BCO came on site and insisted. Now I am wiser (and a little older) have been able to argue back re the need for them. This works most times but there are BCOs who make up regs as they go along.

Have to be careful when arguing with them as sometimes you need a bit of 'slack' especially when it comes to counting the number of new lights versus low energy fittings (new BR Part L).......

TTC

Part L does not actually mandate luminaires that can only accept CFLs.

Any BCO that tells you it does is making up the rules as he goes along.

It is within the remit of LABC to interpret and enforce the regulations locally. While you might be able to enter into discussion about the merits or otherwise of local/individual/invented requirements it is never wise or profitable to get on the wrong side of a building inspector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back