mains water pipe into house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a leak on main water supply from stop tap into house , i think its 20 mm steel pipe ,
i have located the break , just under the soil pipe in picture , can i just chop out the section with break and and use compression fitting using plastic pipe , or will the whole pipe need replacing , just don't fancy the task of digging up the kitchen floor to replace.

Sponsored Links
I could not see your pictures at first.

You can replace the burst pipe with anything you like as long as you can connect it. It should be ducted and not buried in concrete.

It looks like copper that has not been protected against corrosion. If so better to replace all the outside pipe.

But if one bit has failed are you sure the rest is not about to fail as well?

Tony

if you can find a smooth piece of pipe use a couple of philmac universal couplers and a bit of mdpe.

thanks for reply , doh! forgot to add pics , the soil pipe was set in concrete to support adjoining drain , it is steel i've scrapped some back , the rest looks ok , i think the concrete may have coroded the pipe , i also checked that the pipe is 22mm . so i can use these http://beta.screwfix.com/p/floplast-mdpe-coupler-25-x-25mm/17684 and connect with 22mm reducers to new plastic pipe. thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If it is iron pipe, it is probably 1/2" bore, which usually comes out at a tad over 21mm diameter, or 3/4" bore, which is a fraction under 27mm diameter.

As above, if one section has failed, other parts may not be far from failure too.

Consider alternative routes for a replacement pipe, maybe modifying internal pipework to suit, to minimise damage to interior decor etc. The only reason the pipe often rises under the kitchen sink is because that was the easiest way to get mains water to where the sink would be when the house was built.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back