Maintenance free - method of lowering socket (Extending 2.5mm T&E)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking to lower sockets as they are too high up (diagram attached). To do this I want to extend the current two 2.5mm T&E cables for each socket (ring). The hole will be boarded and filled afterwards so will NOT be accessible and im aware that I will need to use maintenance free connectors and a maintenance free box to be up to regulations - im a DIYer so any useful info is appreciated.

Need to do this today so looking at products I can buy from screwfix/toolstation etc.

I was thinking use Wago connectors and then a wagobox, then board/fill and be done with it?
I have one of these already - https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-basic-installer-box-75pcs/48808

Only other thing ive seen are these spliceline connectors that Screwfix sell (are these safe to use?)
https://www.screwfix.com/p/ideal-spliceline-in-line-wire-connectors-pack-of-10/42201

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• proposed.png
    proposed.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 315
Sponsored Links
I would typically use barrel crimps with sleeving. I've seen a couple of Wago terminals go high resistance so IMO I wouldn't bury them where they can no longer be accessed. Others may disagree...

Unfortunately I dont have the tools or any experience in crimping wire. Any other advice is greatly appreciated, thanks

Last edited:
Just leave the existing sockets and put another on a spur below it. Then when you get old and infirm you'll be able to use the existing ones as designed.

Sponsored Links
I would typically use barrel crimps with sleeving. I've seen a couple of Wago terminals go high resistance so IMO I wouldn't bury them where they can no longer be accessed. Others may disagree...

Thats interesting, I had thought Wagos, being spring loaded were considered to be maintenance free unlike screw terminals in JBs

Would rather not have the old sockets visible in any way.

As Notch7 said I was also under the impression that they were considered maintenance free when used in the Wagobox. Just wasn't sure this was the best way to go about it baring in mind i dont want to solder or crimp it due to lack of experience in those techniques.

Thats interesting, I had thought Wagos, being spring loaded were considered to be maintenance free unlike screw terminals in JBs
They are. However, that doesn't alter the fact that nothing is infallible, and that includes springs, and the quality of contact between a conductor and a spring-loaded terminal.

It will probably be a decade or three before we know for sure how these 'maintenance free' connections fare in very long-term real-life service.

Kind Regards, John

Ok guys, so as a DIYer with no experiance in soldering/crimping, what would you suggest would be the best way to do this where it would be maintenance free and the work is done to regulations?

Ok guys, so as a DIYer with no experiance in soldering/crimping, what would you suggest would be the best way to do this where it would be maintenance free and the work is done to regulations?
The simplest way would be to do as has been suggested, retaining the existing socket and connecting a new one to that as a spur from the first, but you have said that you would prefer not to have the old sockets visible. How would you feel about replacing the old sockets with 'blanking plates (which could be painted, or even covered with bits of wallpaper)?

Is it a 'hollow' wall? If so, is there any hope of pulling the cables up from above and replacing them with longer cables (which could be 'pulled through' by the old ones), all the way back to wherever they come from?

Also, is it an internal wall and, if so, what is on the other side?

Kind Regards, John

The simplest way would be to do as has been suggested, retaining the existing socket and connecting a new one to that as a spur from the first, but you have said that you would prefer not to have the old sockets visible. How would you feel about replacing the old sockets with 'blanking plates (which could be painted, or even covered with bits of wallpaper)?

Is it a 'hollow' wall? If so, is there any hope of pulling the cables up from above and replacing them with longer cables (which could be 'pulled through' by the old ones), all the way back to wherever they come from?

Also, is it an internal wall and, if so, what is on the other side?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for your reply John, I have used the blanking plate approach in the past but this is a master bedroom in my house and I want the best finish possible so would prefer not to have anything visible at all where the old sockets were.

Its an external wall on a house made within the last 15 years. The plasterboard has been fixed dot and dab style so there is some space in between the bricks/blocks and the plasterboard. However, im not certain about how simple it would be to pull cable through it..

I was hoping burying the wago or spliceline connectors in a suitable enclosure would have been an ok method of doing this. Another option I have is getting a professional in to solder the cable although I'd prefer to save the expense if at all possible

Thanks for your reply John, I have used the blanking plate approach in the past but this is a master bedroom in my house and I want the best finish possible so would prefer not to have anything visible at all where the old sockets were.
Fair enough. It's obviously your call.
I was hoping burying the wago or spliceline connectors in a suitable enclosure would have been an ok method of doing this. Another option I have is getting a professional in to solder the cable although I'd prefer to save the expense if at all possible
Burying 'maintenance-free' connections would technically be compliant with regulations but, as you have seen, at least some of us would be uneasy about doing that. Getting an electrician to make crimped or soldered joints (or replace the entire cables) would therefore seem to be the only approach which would satisfy your requirements.

If it were me, and if I were unable to solder/crimp and didn't want to see the old sockets, I think I would be inclined to go with a blanking plate and then either 'hide' or 'make a feature of' the plate!

Kind Regards, John

Do the cables definitely come down? If a 'normal house' one would expect the cables to come up from the floor if the bedroom is on the first floor.

Obviously not always the case and if it's a flat/bungalow more than 2 storey house it could be totally different.

Do the cables definitely come down? If a 'normal house' one would expect the cables to come up from the floor if the bedroom is on the first floor.

Obviously not always the case and if it's a flat/bungalow more than 2 storey house it could be totally different.

Yeah definitely, i had the other rooms soldered and the cable was coming down through the loft

Yeah definitely, i had the other rooms soldered and the cable was coming down through the loft

So you have moved all your sockets down? You do realise that current thinking, and regs for new builds, require the sockets higher to save people bending down don't you.

So you have moved all your sockets down? You do realise that current thinking, and regs for new builds, require the sockets higher to save people bending down don't you.

Surely I can do what I want in my own home as long as it’s done safely. The house is about 15 years old and they will be lowered to a level that is still in line with regs which if I recall correctly is 450mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back