Major wiring work on a house purchase, questions.

Yup. This bit I don't like:

Any electrical installation undertaken by someone who is not registered with NICEIC or ECA must provide an installation certificate, together with a test certificate prepared by a member of NICEIC or ECA.

And the tick form that tells you that additions or alterations are notifiable in bathrooms. Not if outside the zones they're not.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There's an awful lot seriously out of date on that form re what is notifiable.

Someone to whom it matters directly should complain to them.

It doesn't matter if it affects one directly or not. The council is peddling crap information and ought to be corrected.

This is a good start:

Dear Sir or Madam

You have the following document on the council website:

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/2013/2994/developmentcontrol/14406/41351/buildingnoticeelectricalworkapp

It is quite obvious the document was written before Part P was introduced and it is now seriously out of date and highly misleading.

The up to date Approved Document P is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/441872/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf

I have not detailed every discrepancy but detail the main points below:

Firstly, your version of P1 is not as it appears in any edition of the Approved Document P.

Secondly, P2 has now been deleted from Approved Document P.

Thirdly, the range of electrical installation work that is notifiable has been reduced.

Fourthly, an installer who is not a registered competent person may use a registered 3rd party to certify notifiable electrical installation work instead of using a building control body.

Fifthly, additions and alterations in a bathroom are no longer notifiable where they are to be installed outside the zones.

Sixthly, the definition of “special location” now includes only bathrooms, or rooms containing a sauna heater or swimming pool.

This is to say nothing about the potential fraud the council is committing.

Last edited:
I want to mention other stuff too, like the fact some inspectors include the area round the sink as a zone and that Part M applies on rewires, but I'm not sure how to work that in.

Sponsored Links
Just had a discussion with Mrs Secure about this. She says it could be an oversight on the part of the team looking after the website.
You would think the LABC would know the latest regulations, wouldn't you? To know what is and is not notifiable?
They wouldn't charge for work that was non-notifiable, would they?

It is quite obvious the document was written before Part P was introduced
Err - how can that be?

Firstly, your version of P1 is not as it appears in any edition of the Approved Document P.

Secondly, P2 has now been deleted from Approved Document P.
You should talk about the actual Building Regulations, not AD P. You'll need to to a bit of research to find which Statutory Instruments changed the wording of P1, and removed P2 (SI numbers and dates).

Ditto the ones introducing the amendments you refer to in points 3-6.

This is to say nothing about the potential fraud the council is committing by asking people to pay Building Control charges when they are no longer required to..

She says it could be an oversight on the part of the team looking after the website.
That's one hell of an oversight - for example P2 was removed at least 10 years ago, IIRC.

That document is not languishing somewhere on their site, having been superseded but not removed - it's the one you'll get if you go to the council website and go to the application form for doing electrical work.

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/service...regulations/doineedbuildingregulations/#menu1

You would think the LABC would know the latest regulations, wouldn't you? To know what is and is not notifiable?
It's not an unreasonable expectation to have.

They wouldn't charge for work that was non-notifiable, would they?
Try it and see.....

We've all done it!:)

I don't think I'm up for trawling through the statutory instruments. All I want to do is let them know it's wrong and needs correcting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back