Making a bed frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I would like to make myself a bed frame as I currently have a mattress on the floor.

Could someone please help me with this?

Sponsored Links
Post a pic of what you want to achieve and then say what the limits of your skills are, whats your budget and what tools do you have.

heeelllooo mashcaster :D :D :D

as fmt says skills level an tools avalable rerquired before we can help

but on your budget your talking pine ply and mdf painted ;)

Sponsored Links
If that is too complicated, how about making something like the attached image, but making it stronger and lighter, so it does not break when moving around like ikea furniture tends to do.

My budget is about £100 and i have not done anything like this before.
So assuming you have no relevant skills yet and your budget includes the purchase of any nec tools I'd say you'd be hard pushed to make anything. I doubt you'd even be able to get some timber for that. See what ebay has. Some amazing furniture deals on there if you're patient.

I have all the tools I need (I think). I do not have a saw, but I can get the material cut from B&Q.

That looks to be about 3 full sheets of 25mm mdf.
I thought you wanted it to be light?

Just stop and think for a minute.

If double beds could be made light, strong, durable and attractive for around £100, don't you think we'd all have one?

Most kit furniture (eg Ikea) is amazing value for money. It won't last forever, but the way you treat it and move it around will make a big difference to it's durability.

You could do it as you have sketched, but you won't be able to move it and it'll be a great waste of space, unless you design some storage into it.

You'd need 2x2 battens for all the joins, screwed, and preferably glued for strength.

The exposed cut edges would be very vunerable to damage.

And if your floor is in any way uneven, the whole thing will tend to twist/buckle. (So best to support it on four legs, a bit like.... a real bed.)

Well it's getting there, but the legs will snap, and overcoming that problem will involve other difficulties.
MDF really isn't the best material, you need solid timber for the legs, these need to be jointed to the side rails with a good solid permanent detail. Unless you like your bed wobbly.
MDF also won't be ideal for the side rails, as the edges are vulnerable.
MDF also won't be good for the slats as in thin strips it's particularly weak.

Thanks.

Just a few questions

1. What type of timber would you recommend
2. Where should the timber be used
3. Where can I use cheap material (mdf/chipboard)
4. What dimensions for the legs would you recommend
5. What thickness should the timber be for the side rails
6. What are battens

I appreciate all the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back