Making a bed frame

Sponsored Links
Having a laugh about?

Anyway, I think the material will cost around£80

If you have the skills and tools to do the connections to the legs so that they wont wobble or loosen over time, that'll work fine.

I was thinking about using bedrail hangers, but if they are no good, any suggestions as I do not have the skills.

Sponsored Links
What's a bedrail hanger?

PS I think you would need 45x45 under the slats, and your slats should be 70mm wide, and probably twice as many.

The corner connections are what makes a bed a bed and not a rickety collection of sticks and planks. They often have knock down fittings so the bed will flatpack. But the main side rail connection into the leg has to be solid. You need to do a glued mortice and tenon. Not the simplest bit of diy to undertake.

If it was me, speaking as a joinery numpty, I'd try and use furniture connector bolts, there's no precise mortice joints to cut and you can just crank 'em up a bit every so often if required.

Well if you can find them they would work, but will still need a bit of care and skill to cut into the timber.

Don't forget to make it the right size for your mattress!

I've gone over budget and I have not included and bedrail hangings/furniture bults + screws + wood glue. Can I reduce the dimensions of the side rails at all? They are currently at (W)131 x (T)28mm

I really really appreciate all the advice!

Not near Rossendale are you?
I just had someone contact me wanting to put a similar sounding double bed on Freecycle.

Yeah, you're not the first to notice that! :D

Anyway. I have a question about chipboard. How weak is it?

If I have 12mm chipboard on top of 34x34mm timber beams every 350mm underneath the chipboard, will the chipboard snap if a 100kg person stands on the chipboard between the 34x34mm timber gaps?

By the way, I have a king size mattress.

Make lots of changes and I got the cost down to £50.96 for the wood only, but it looks too thin/weak.

ok my thruppence worth :D

i have made several beds
sides from 6x1" par[planed] sides 150mm longer than the matress
the sides overhang the ends by 44mm this allows the legs /head foot boards to be secured on 2 edges giving a very strong fixing

screw and glue a bit off 2x1 par along the inside bottom edge off the sides and end

use 4x1" for the slats chamfer top edges to stop dammage to the matress space 60 to 80mm apart
for example a 6ft3" matress will require 12 slats one at zero one at 6ft3" and 10 inbetween with a 70mm gap between them

you will also need a bit off 2x1" running down the centre scrwed to each slat to give extra support

the length off the legs should be governed by the storage boxes or whatever you plan to put underneath the bed

buy your timber from a timber yard or wood yard the wood from sheds[bxq wicks ect is carp bent full off knots it also only comes in short lengths causing dreadfull wastage for example a 3m length off wood will only give you one 5 ft slat with 4ft10" waste where as a 3.3 or 4.8 length will give 2 or 3 lengths with a few inches off waste

if you do completly egnore all my advice do NOT egnore the slats information as 2x1 sawn timber is exteriour poor quality ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back