Making a bed frame

Sponsored Links
If you want a cheap and strong bed frame (or rather bed base) - When I was living in a rented flat, the double bed there was 2 big boxes made by chipboard, upholstered with some fabric and turned upside down. With a mattress on top of course. It is the fastest and easiest way IMHO.

Or try freecycle.

ok my thruppence worth :D

i have made several beds
sides from 6x1" par[planed] sides 150mm longer than the matress
the sides overhang the ends by 44mm this allows the legs /head foot boards to be secured on 2 edges giving a very strong fixing

screw and glue a bit off 2x1 par along the inside bottom edge off the sides and end

use 4x1" for the slats chamfer top edges to stop dammage to the matress space 60 to 80mm apart
for example a 6ft3" matress will require 12 slats one at zero one at 6ft3" and 10 inbetween with a 70mm gap between them

you will also need a bit off 2x1" running down the centre scrwed to each slat to give extra support

the length off the legs should be governed by the storage boxes or whatever you plan to put underneath the bed

buy your timber from a timber yard or wood yard the wood from sheds[bxq wicks ect is carp bent full off knots it also only comes in short lengths causing dreadfull wastage for example a 3m length off wood will only give you one 5 ft slat with 4ft10" waste where as a 3.3 or 4.8 length will give 2 or 3 lengths with a few inches off waste

if you do completly egnore all my advice do NOT egnore the slats information as 2x1 sawn timber is exteriour poor quality ;)

Taking this into consideration, Everything will cost me around £100! Thanks for the advice.

If it was me, speaking as a joinery numpty, I'd try and use furniture connector bolts, there's no precise mortice joints to cut and you can just crank 'em up a bit every so often if required.

Not sure what furniture connector bolts are. Do you mean doing something like this, so connect the legs with the side rails?

Sponsored Links
If I post up the final design tonight which is well under £100, will you guys be able to tell me the best way to connect the legs to the side rails? I am not too sure I will be able to use furniture bolts. I know where to get the bolts from which will need to be around 125mm, but I don't think I will be able to drill straight wholes into the side rails and lets that long.

in my design you simply screw through the sides into the legs with 2" screws countersunk 4 from top to bottom slightly staggerd and the head and foot you screw into the legs with 3 screws between the ones on the side

Is this a strong way to join a post (leg) with the side railing and the foot railing?

The side railing has a 3" tenon which is half an inch thick, and the foot railing has 3 half inch drill holes into which I insert 4" wooden dowels which go through the leg, the tenon and into the foot post.

Or will this be weak?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back