making an understairs door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have to move the dorr into our cellar from the 'new' kitchen into the hall. My husband would like to make a door from the existing panelling so that it would be 'invisible'. Core and Ore, the IKEA installers, have suggested that the best option is just to make a frame and put in a brand new door, but we are not so sure that this would look appropriate in a victorian terrace.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Anne Marie

Sponsored Links
Well if you like the look then tell them so, don't ask us, as we've no idea what your house or the door looks like. You might as well be asking "do these curtains go with the wallpaper"

Sorry, I should have made the question clearer. Is it possible to make a frameless door that looks 'invisible' from the hall, by taking the panelling, cutting a door out of it very carefully, reinforcing it and constructing a frame internally. My husband is keen to have a go at this but it doesn't really sound possible to me. If it is possible but not a job for an amateur then we would be happy to engage a professional. But if it is not possible we wonder if it is more difficult to make a frame for the existing victorian door than a new door.
Thanks
AM

Sponsored Links
See my reply on SF, I can scan a pic of the paneled doors if you want.

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back