Making my own kitchen cabinet shelves to match

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We've inherited a kitchen and although most of it is there we are missing a few things, namely some shelves.

I was thinking that rather than spending around £8 per shelf from here -
http://www.thekitchenstore.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=116

That I could buy a sheet of MDF, have it cut to the right size and then apply some laminate or vinyl to match. Our units are Calvados -

http://www.thekitchenstore.co.uk/colour.php

Has anyone done this before with success? So far I haven't been able to see any laminate for sale in this colour which I think is the biggest problem. Also are all shelf clips the same?

Sponsored Links
Dave, you said "we are missing a few things, namely some shelves." How many? It might be cheaper just to get them ready made. Sheet of 18mm MDF, say £16 for 8 x 4 sheet + cutting charge, (more if you get a veneered board), + cost of laminate (Formica) & adhesive, cost of your time, etc. etc. If you haven't laminated/veneered before you'll be fortunate to get a 'professional' looking finish. Of course you could wrap it in Fablon (YUK!!).

The shelves you link to are not a bad price given the other options

If you were to buy MDF then a sheet of woodgrain laminate will set you back just over £100 for woodgrain formica.

Use a woodgrain finished MFC (melamine faced chipboard) the matches for Calvados are Egger H1950, Finsa 42, Kronospan D663, Sonae M956 or Pfleiderer 5183 and a roll of matching iron on edging. These will set you back about £60 for a sheet 2800x2070 and £23 for the edging.

You could also buy a pre edged end panel with Calvados finish for about £80 retail and cut that up.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

Looks like I might well be better off ordering direct then as we need around 6 shelves in total.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back