Making new paint blend in with existing paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I had new pipes put in for a radiator, then the room replastered and the pipes buried, and then redecorated. The plumber came back today to put the radiator on the wall and drilled through the pipe...so he’s had to chase out the wall and replace the pipe.

A plasterer is coming tomorrow to patch up the wall, then once it’s dried I can repaint that bit of the wall. However, I’m worried that the new paint isn’t going to blend in with the existing paint (that I only finished painting yesterday). Any advice on getting it all to blend in? Should I go slightly over the edge of the existing paint with the mist coat?

Sponsored Links
If it's from the same paint tin then it shouldn't be an issue,

Use a brush to paint over the new plaster work, and then a roller to feather it out, then hopefully you won't notice it

If it's from the same paint tin then it shouldn't be an issue,

Use a brush to paint over the new plaster work, and then a roller to feather it out, then hopefully you won't notice it

Thank you. I do have some left from the same tin, so yeah fingers crossed it all blends in.

What about the mist coat on the new plaster? Try and keep that solely on the new plaster, or can it overlap a little onto the existing paint?

What about the mist coat on the new plaster? Try and keep that solely on the new plaster, or can it overlap a little onto the existing paint?

Overlap will not be a problem, providing you intend painting it too. The colour will be slightly different at first, but will blend in later.

Sponsored Links
This is how it looks after they came to fill the holes - running my hand down the wall it feels smooth so hopefully it will all paint over nicely. He said it won’t need a mist coat, and I can go straight to putting the top coat on?

Also, the second photo is a small nick in the paint where they leaned the radiator on the wall :mad: Will running the roller over this also dry the same colour as the rest of the wall?

Attachments

• 9988B130-365C-4324-828C-116E48BD58E2.jpeg
    9988B130-365C-4324-828C-116E48BD58E2.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 64
  • A554C0FE-C4B2-4998-AE91-8818AEB0FEF6.jpeg
    A554C0FE-C4B2-4998-AE91-8818AEB0FEF6.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 64
I would advise mist coating it first, the newly filled bit will suck the water out of the paint quicker than surrounding areas and on some paints and colours can be quite noticeable.

Regarding the nick, it needs to be sanded smooth then painted.

You can paint straight over it but would always see the little dimple

I would patch the wall as best you can, and any dimples or lumps can be sanded again and filled again so it's as good as it possibly can be.

Then I would consider painting the whole wall, because you are bound to see a evidence that you have touched up the paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back