Makita SDS drill, wobbly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

Not sure if this is normal or not... I've used/owned plenty percussion drills before and borrowed a couple of SDS drills in the past for the odd job. I thought it time to stop borrowing and to get my own SDS drill.

I've not noticed if this is true of the ones I've borrowed, but my new makita one has a little wobble. On a 150mm bit it clearly moves 1-2mm when spinning in air. You can wobble the bit side to side about the same so I'm guessing most the movement is from that.

Is this normal for an SDS drill? I haven't got any concrete to drill into to test for now under load, but I tried it with an adapter for a keyless chuck and drilling into wood it was pretty wobbly.

Sponsored Links
my new makita one has a little wobble. On a 150mm bit it clearly moves 1-2mm when spinning in air. You can wobble the bit side to side about the same so I'm guessing most the movement is from that.
Firstly, are you using a decent drill bit? People like Silverline sell propellors which almost always aren't straight or are just a bit loose in the chuck

Is this normal for an SDS drill? I haven't got any concrete to drill into to test for now under load, but I tried it with an adapter for a keyless chuck and drilling into wood it was pretty wobbly.
It isn't that normal. I have a Bosch 2kg corded SDS+, an Atlas-Copco 3kg SDS+ and a Makita 18volt cordless SDS+. With good quality (i.e. Heller, Hilti, DW Quadra, etc) SDS bits they don't seem to wobble in drill only mode. In impact drilling mode my eyes are probably wobbling more than the drill. Best way to try it is to drill a 7mm hole in soft concrete block - if it's running out the hole will be really big

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back